Old Windows XP Computer - Installed SP3 Last night now being accused of piracy RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I'm having an extremely frustrating issue at the moment on this computer. It is an old one baught from a store in 2002 running Windows XP. I purchased a vista computer a few years back and gave this one to my brother for personal use but recently started using it to host a Minecraft Server. In order to use an anti-griefing plugin for the server I was required to install MySQL, Net 4.0 and MySQL Workbench, though I was told i had to install XP SP3 in order to install these. So I did. Everything was running fine, I left the computer on overnight with the server running and then I'm assuming installing SP3 re-enabled automatic updates because when I woke up and came downstairs the computer had been restarted and was sat on the login screen. No problem, I could just log back in and turn the server on, then disable automatic updates. But much to my suprise, what I was greeted with was "29 days to activate". I immediately click it, click next to verify using the internet and then get Unauthorized Product key. So I tried phoning, to my disappointment to talk to a robot. Typed the install code into my phone to be told I may be a victim of piracy then rudely disconnected from the line without any option to speak to support.

Here is a paste from the diagnostics tool:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DX2FX-7G7FH-H9MF3
    Windows Product Key Hash: WFuAi2SbZMDeAsuqlwcCPbrhl/c=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2165043-36141
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom
    ID: {63441899-4DA3-454D-96B9-7C03B10DA024}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{63441899-4DA3-454D-96B9-7C03B10DA024}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0019.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-H9MF3</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2165043-36141</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-329068152-1390067357-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>F4</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060918000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>DE0A3DF701848E76</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57957</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 13A30:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|13A30:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP|13A30:SYNNEX TECHNOLOGY INTERNATIONAL CORP
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I also tried the suggestions here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916247

I have no sticker on my machine showing the product key nor do I have the documentation from 2002 unsuprisingly.

Diagnostics result was:

Passed Active scripting allowed
    Passed Display images enabled
    Passed Computer time and date correct
    Passed Cookies enabled
    Passed Plug-ins enabled
    Failed

genuine Microsoft software plug-ins are installed and loaded

Passed Office validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded
    Failed

genuine Microsoft software plug-ins connect with Microsoft validation servers

I dont know where else to look for help, I cant find any numbers to speak to actual people about this and the only support line suggests paying £100 for a new OS, NO CHANCE that is happening.
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:33 AM

Answers

• Hello Lazermatt,

You wrote, "I have no sticker on my machine showing the product key...."

In this case the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) sticker serves as proof of license, so if there is no sticker, there is no license.  If you bought the computer from a local shop, then they must have followed the piracy practice that Microsoft calls hard disk loading, where they load the Windows OS onto the computer but do not supply you with the genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc, or the genuine CoA with the product ky printed on it.  They don't give it to you because they are using that same key to install Windows on many oher computers, saving themselves approx $75-100 every time.  Thus they send you out with a pirated OS and hope that they are long gone before it catches up to you.

As Noel mentioned, your installation of Office 2003 Professional is a widely pirated installation as well.

If you are using the computer simply for a Mincecraft game server, a quick look at their wiki http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Setting_up_a_server indicates that they have versions that run on OS X and on Linux.  Why not install Linux and run the game server on top of that, rather than waste time and create aggravation trying to get a pirated installation of Windows to work?

Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:51 PM
  • "Lazermatt" wrote in message news:ba007083-acb9-4c4c-999d-f3e979b8874d...

Thank you for the replies, I have installed the Belarc program and written the code down. At the moment I have SD Spybot and AVG Anti-virus enabled. What do you mean by the SP3 installation has failed? I shall try ringing now. Also thank you for the Linux suggestion, I'll write this down as a back-up plan too. It is funny that you mention that about them being long gone, as I checked to see if I could find the local shop that I baught it from and its apparently been shut down for years.

My younger brother has been using this computer for personal use for a few years now and over that time he has really screwed some things up, for instance at one point Ctrl+Alt+Delete wasnt working. So malware is a serious possibility too I'd imagine.

Yes - I'd suspect malware as being highly likely :)

Your installation is still showing as being SP2...

I'd run System Restore back to a time prior to the 'installation', and then do some serious cleanup on the system. As well as full scans with freshly-updated Spybot and AVG, run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware over every account from Safe Mode, and check with an online AV such  as Trend Housecall or similar.

Hopefully the System Restore will also bring back your 'genuine-ness' as well.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:31 PM

All replies

• "Lazermatt" wrote in message news:8c92912c-50a4-4329-bf6e-53e185a61e4e...

Greetings,

I'm having an extremely frustrating issue at the moment on this computer. It is an old one baught from a store in 2002 running Windows XP. I purchased a vista computer a few years back and gave this one to my brother for personal use but recently started using it to host a Minecraft Server. In order to use an anti-griefing plugin for the server I was required to install MySQL, Net 4.0 and MySQL Workbench, though I was told i had to install XP SP3 in order to install these. So I did. Everything was running fine, I left the computer on overnight with the server running and then I'm assuming installing SP3 re-enabled automatic updates because when I woke up and came downstairs the computer had been restarted and was sat on the login screen. No problem, I could just log back in and turn the server on, then disable automatic updates. But much to my suprise, what I was greeted with was "29 days to activate". I immediately click it, click next to verify using the internet and then get Unauthorized Product key. So I tried phoning, to my disappointment to talk to a robot. Typed the install code into my phone to be told I may be a victim of piracy then rudely disconnected from the line without any option to speak to support.

Here is a paste from the diagnostics tool:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0019.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DX2FX-7G7FH-H9MF3
    Windows Product Key Hash: WFuAi2SbZMDeAsuqlwcCPbrhl/c=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2165043-36141
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder

I also tried the suggestions here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916247

I have no sticker on my machine showing the product key nor do I have the documentation from 2002 unsuprisingly.

Diagnostics result was:

Passed Active scripting allowed
    Passed Display images enabled
    Passed Computer time and date correct
    Passed Cookies enabled
    Passed Plug-ins enabled
    Failed

genuine Microsoft software plug-ins are installed and loaded

Passed Office validation ActiveX loaded
    Passed Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded
    Failed

genuine Microsoft software plug-ins connect with Microsoft validation servers

I dont know where else to look for help, I cant find any numbers to speak to actual people about this and the only support line suggests paying £100 for a new OS, NO CHANCE that is happening.

First thing to do is to retrieve your Key for safe-keeping! You have an OEM System Builder Key in use here.
    Technically, if you don't have the COA Sticker attached to your machine, then it's not valid.

Having said that - download and install Belarc Advisor (www.belarc.com), and run it. It'll tell you the full Key for Windows as well as your counterfeit installation of Office (the Key for which was issued to MS itself, before it leaked and got blocked) and a lot of other useful stuff.

(BTW, your machine appears to have been manufactured in 2006, rather than 2002?)

Try Telephone Activation again - this time, when asked which service you require, do NOT respond. This should force an operator to pick up, who hopefully can assist your activation problem.

What Security software is installed on this machine? Sometimes overzealous settings or software can cause this type of problem, as can a malware infestation.

--

Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:49 PM
  • "Noel D Paton" wrote in message news:5c236753-f59e-45be-8cce-b4ae6fdf2caa...
    First thing to do is to retrieve your Key for safe-keeping! You have an OEM System Builder Key in use here.
    Technically, if you don't have the COA Sticker attached to your machine, then it's not valid.

Having said that - download and install Belarc Advisor (www.belarc.com), and run it. It'll tell you the full Key for Windows as well as your counterfeit installation of Office (the Key for which was issued to MS itself, before it leaked and got blocked) and a lot of other useful stuff.

(BTW, your machine appears to have been manufactured in 2006, rather than 2002?)

Try Telephone Activation again - this time, when asked which service you require, do NOT respond. This should force an operator to pick up, who hopefully can assist your activation problem.

What Security software is installed on this machine? Sometimes overzealous settings or software can cause this type of problem, as can a malware infestation.

--

...one other thing - your installation of SP3 appears to have failed!

--

Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Hello Lazermatt,

You wrote, "I have no sticker on my machine showing the product key...."

In this case the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) sticker serves as proof of license, so if there is no sticker, there is no license.  If you bought the computer from a local shop, then they must have followed the piracy practice that Microsoft calls hard disk loading, where they load the Windows OS onto the computer but do not supply you with the genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc, or the genuine CoA with the product ky printed on it.  They don't give it to you because they are using that same key to install Windows on many oher computers, saving themselves approx $75-100 every time.  Thus they send you out with a pirated OS and hope that they are long gone before it catches up to you.

As Noel mentioned, your installation of Office 2003 Professional is a widely pirated installation as well.

If you are using the computer simply for a Mincecraft game server, a quick look at their wiki http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Setting_up_a_server indicates that they have versions that run on OS X and on Linux.  Why not install Linux and run the game server on top of that, rather than waste time and create aggravation trying to get a pirated installation of Windows to work?

Saturday, April 23, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Thank you for the replies, I have installed the Belarc program and written the code down. At the moment I have SD Spybot and AVG Anti-virus enabled. What do you mean by the SP3 installation has failed? I shall try ringing now. Also thank you for the Linux suggestion, I'll write this down as a back-up plan too. It is funny that you mention that about them being long gone, as I checked to see if I could find the local shop that I baught it from and its apparently been shut down for years.

My younger brother has been using this computer for personal use for a few years now and over that time he has really screwed some things up, for instance at one point Ctrl+Alt+Delete wasnt working. So malware is a serious possibility too I'd imagine.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:19 PM
  • "Lazermatt" wrote in message news:ba007083-acb9-4c4c-999d-f3e979b8874d...

Thank you for the replies, I have installed the Belarc program and written the code down. At the moment I have SD Spybot and AVG Anti-virus enabled. What do you mean by the SP3 installation has failed? I shall try ringing now. Also thank you for the Linux suggestion, I'll write this down as a back-up plan too. It is funny that you mention that about them being long gone, as I checked to see if I could find the local shop that I baught it from and its apparently been shut down for years.

Yes - I'd suspect malware as being highly likely :)

Your installation is still showing as being SP2...

I'd run System Restore back to a time prior to the 'installation', and then do some serious cleanup on the system. As well as full scans with freshly-updated Spybot and AVG, run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware over every account from Safe Mode, and check with an online AV such  as Trend Housecall or similar.

Hopefully the System Restore will also bring back your 'genuine-ness' as well.

--

Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Just off the phone with customer support. After going through the installation ID she said "I'm sorry sir I need to put you through to customer support." I say alright. Elevator music. Disconnected. Got to love customer support. I'll try the system restore now and try these programs out, thank you again for all the help here it is much appreciated.
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:36 PM
  • Just finished restoring to the prior date and it is working again! Thank you so much gentlemen. Time to hunt some malware.

The only difference I'm noticing at the moment from prior to installing and system restoring is a pop-up when I initially log in to the only account on the computer.  It is around the lines of "dfsvc.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" and asks if I'd like to send an error report etc, with the OK option (which I have pressed both times now). This wasnt happening prior to installing SP3 nor during the time I had SP3 installed so I will most certainly be doing some research about that file while on my malware hunt.

Again thank you both so much, you have made my day.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 6:12 PM