none
WHS 1 client restore widget RRS feed

• Question

• just trying to use the client restore wizard for the first time - after trying to move the files manually and getting an ETA of a fortnight.

All seemed to be going well - progress bar about 1/6 finished with 6 hours and 1 minutes to go and its been stuck there for over an hour.

I cant access the drive its restoring onto in explorer - is that normal? (However in disk management drive is showing up fine and healthy).  When I view the backup in the console it tells me that the backup for that drive is missing. But it still opens fine, and I can navigate files and folders without any issues.

If I click cancel it tells me that the drives I'm restoring onto will be unusable if I stop.

Really. Poor. 

• Edited by getho Monday, June 11, 2012 7:37 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 7:32 AM

All replies

• when it says unusable, it means until I reformat them, right?
    Monday, June 11, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

dont touch a drive while a restore is running to it. (It is normal, that it is unaccessible during restore.)

How large was the amount of data you are trying to restore? The time you have as expected restore time is not so uncommon: The network is usually one bottleneck (how fast is your infrastructure - Fast Ethernet or Gigabit over the entire chain), the CPU power of the Home Server maybe another one, since it has to puzzle the clusters belonging to the data together from the backup database.

Unless you receive an error message during restore, all goes fine. So the best idea is to be patient.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, June 11, 2012 8:26 AM
  • thanks Olaf.  However today, after running for 24hours its telling me 3 days 3 hours.  Is it possible to do the resotre to a locally connected drive to remove the network bottleneck (I'm on whs1)

Its 2.5ish TB of data.  

If I stop it I'll just need to format the drive  - is that right?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:09 AM
  • 9 hours later I'm getting an ETA of 3 days 17 hours.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:47 AM
  • If you stop, you need to reformat the volume, thats right.

Let's calculate this a bit easier than it is in reality (number base 10 instead of 2, Fast Ethernet LAN like in many households):

approx. 2500000 MByte of data need to be copied through 100 MBit/s connection. 100 MBit is about 12 MByte. So if you divide the previous amount by this 12, you get 208333 seconds, which is around 58 hours. Since network data processing has some overhead (lets assume in a good case you gain 80% of real network performance, if there is nothing else involved like other devices, virus scanners, weaker network links), on top some puzzling needs to be done from backup database, these 4 days are not that unrealistic for the complete data amount.

(At least your network seems to be stable ...)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:55 PM
  • thanks olaf. Its gigabit ethernet.  another 12 hours later and its up to 4 days 8 hours remaining.  This is almost as slow as the individual file restore.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:07 AM
  • I gave up.  If theres anything in that backup that I dont have: So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen goodbye...

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:28 AM