I'm having an issue with a bad copy of windows RRS feed

• Question

• I Run a small shop and ended up with a system in my shop that I planed ot resale. As I was working on it I noticed the hard drive was going bad so I decided to grab the key from the system and get a new drive and reinstall windows.

Well it turns out it has one of the bad corporate keys.

My question is there anything I can do about this or am I jsut stuck. I will not put the corp copy back onto it so that is out.
    Monday, September 25, 2006 4:47 PM

Answers

• Webmedic,

If the computer is a name brand and has a Certificate of Authenticity on it, it is most likely still licensed to run that version/edition of Windows.  Could be as simple as acquiring the manufacturer's recovery CDs.

If no COA or name brand, then most likely the computer was never properly licensed to run any form of Windows.

To sell as a Windows computer, a genuine license for Windows would be needed.  I have read that MS has made a systembuiler/OEM version of the WGA Kit available to systembuilders thru authorized MS distributors, but I don't know the pricing so it might be just as cheap/easy to install a systembuilder/OEM on it to sell it.

Alternate suggestion:  install a downloadable free OS.

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:55 PM

All replies

• Is it an OEM PC? (if so, does it have a COA sticker? - they look like this - www.howtotell.com)

If not, I suggest purchasing a genuine copy of Windows for it.

-phil

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:50 PM
  • You'll need to purchase a genuine "Full Version" of Windows XP and install it.
    Monday, September 25, 2006 4:50 PM
  • Webmedic,

If the computer is a name brand and has a Certificate of Authenticity on it, it is most likely still licensed to run that version/edition of Windows.  Could be as simple as acquiring the manufacturer's recovery CDs.

If no COA or name brand, then most likely the computer was never properly licensed to run any form of Windows.

To sell as a Windows computer, a genuine license for Windows would be needed.  I have read that MS has made a systembuiler/OEM version of the WGA Kit available to systembuilders thru authorized MS distributors, but I don't know the pricing so it might be just as cheap/easy to install a systembuilder/OEM on it to sell it.

Alternate suggestion:  install a downloadable free OS.

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:55 PM
  • common guys I know all this stuff. I have owned and run my own shop for years. I guess I was asking if micrsoft has any thing for situations like this.

It's a custom built oem system(white box) and a dell or compaq or hp or etc.

Also sorry for the second post the forum told me the post did not exist so I posted it a second time.

I guess that means I'm going with linux for this box.

thanks for the help anyway.
    Monday, September 25, 2006 5:01 PM
  •  webmedic wrote:
    common guys I know all this stuff. I have owned and run my own shop for years. I guess I was asking if micrsoft has any thing for situations like this.

It's a custom built oem system(white box) and a dell or compaq or hp or etc.

Also sorry for the second post the forum told me the post did not exist so I posted it a second time.

I guess that means I'm going with linux for this box.

thanks for the help anyway.

above should have read not a dell. I would have editied it but the delete button does not work in firefox.
    Monday, September 25, 2006 5:04 PM
  • This is not much of a market for a computer running linux nowadays...
    Monday, September 25, 2006 5:17 PM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:
    This is not much of a market for a computer running linux nowadays...

from the way I see it there is not much of a market for windows either.

You know you can't sell a used system for enough to make up for the cost of a copy of windows it should have had to begin with. There is no nobody out there that will pay that that I know of.

I should have paid better atention when I got the machine. Honestly though there are more linux boxen out there than macs.
    Monday, September 25, 2006 5:43 PM