Problem with water. RRS feed

• Question

• I am a beginner with an old digital camera that still allows me to take beautiful panoramic pictures using Microsoft ICE.
    I am aware that this software can not do miracles but often have problems to photograph the water.
    When it is windy the lake water is moved and the result gives me the software is not the best, you can see clearly on the water where the software has combined the photos.
    And I speak not only of the waves do not match, sometimes the colors do not change to be united and the difference shows.
    Is there any way to reduce this bad result?
    Monday, August 6, 2012 1:31 PM

All replies

• There are several possible approaches to tackling this difficult class of problem.

1) High frame rate camera

Modern SLR cameras are available capable of taking >5 fps.  The goal being to take all the images in the changing scene as close together as possible then filling in the static boundaries.

Of course this solution works best when exposure times can be kept to a minimum and there have to be sufficient static features in each frame to get good alignment.

Although I've never tried it, you might also try recording as video and reporting back what ICE does with it.

2) Timing

Waves and tides are periodic.  How long a wait is dependent on geography and conditions.  i.e. wait for a similar wave field, take a shot, wait again, take a shot.....

3) Image editing

Photoshop, or the free equivalent (GIMP) can iron out most irregularities with enough source material.  You can either choose to edit a layered output (preferable) from ICE or a flat jpeg.  Clone stamp tool or Clone tool can be used to seamlessly fill in the irregularities in the picture.  Image masks can be used to good effect; it's also possible to shift colors gradually.  The key is to have enough source material; possibly including material taken from secondary pictures.

In general these techniques are best used together;  The better applied 1&2 the less effort required in 3 (sometimes no effort).  Best of luck.

edit:

PS,

Images should be taken with camera in manual exposure modes (ISO, f number, exposure time, and white balance) for best results; this may explain color shift problems..

• Edited by S Andreason Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:52 PM "colors do not change to be united"
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:08 PM