Storage Device Removal w/All Shares Duplicated: Just Disconnect The Device? RRS feed

• Question

• Removing a 1-TB drive by just telling WHS to remove it takes a looooong time.   The dialog says "This may take several hours" and they're not kidding.

Seems logical to me: WHS not only has to make two copies of all the files on that drive, but it also may have to shuffle various originals/duplicates on other drives to make space.

But, if all files are duplicated, why not just disconnect the drive to be "Removed" - simulating a drive failure - and let WHS re-duplicate whatever was lost on that drive?  

Seems like the second approach would be sort of a "background removal" in that the server would be up, running, and available while it re-duplicated the files - instead of being down for up to "...several hours".

Or is there a fallacy in this reasoning?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:03 PM

All replies

• Data protection. If you do it the way Windows Home Server wants, you always have all of your data protected. For files in shares not flagged for duplication, and for the backup database, your method risks data loss.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:07 PM
  • ...and for the backup database, your method risks data loss.
    Thanks!

Everything's duplicated, but I had not considered the backup database's not being duplicated.

I shall cleave to the straight-and-narrow....
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:36 PM