none
I have a Ms Vista Basic computer and I have changed my Motherboard and my dumb son installed ubuntu on the entire disk RRS feed

• Question

• MS support staff,
    I have a Ms Vista Basic computer and I have changed my Motherboard and my dumb son installed ubuntu on the entire disk. I have the product key and would like help to reinstall MS Vista on my computer is there some install disc that I could download and add my Product Key to reactivate my Vista on My computer, that he had no buisness touching in the first place??? I appreciate all the help you and your staff could provide. I have been a customer of Microsoft  for quite sometime and look-forward to my continued bussness with Microsoft even buring these trouling times .
    You have my complete confinidence in this matter.

Thankyou,
    Dominic  Doyle
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:48 AM

Answers

• Hello Dominic,

Computers that come with Windows Pre-installed (known as OEM Windows) are required to also come with some way for the customer to reinstall windows.  However, now days, most computer manufacturers no longer include a seperate Windows Recovery Disk, but instead include the Recovery Software on a hidden partition on the computer's hard drive and will usually have direction on how to burn to your own Recovery disk.

If in the process of installing ubuntu, your son deleted all the partitions (I've never install ubuntu, so I don't know if it even possible to install it and still key the old partitions intact) then it's likely you have lost the Recovery Software.  In this situation I recommend contacting the Manufacturer of the PC and request a replacment copy. 

Note: Using a Retail windows disk will not work since OEM Product Keys will not work in Retail software (and vis versa).  Also OEM Recovery Software, from a different computer manufacturer may work, but may not.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:07 AM