Windows Delayed Write Failed" error message using firewire in XP RRS feed

• Question

• I am using firewire 800 drives into a 800 card in my computer.  P4 / 3.2g / 2g memory / XP.

Every time I start to manage a file, AVI video files, I get a "Windows Delayed Write Failed" message, killing the hard drive and making me have to reboot to start over.  I've Googled the error message and found that there is a "HOT FIX" from Microsoft.  I don't know which one it is and they wont send it to you if you don't know what it is.  I've updated all drivers and bios.  If I put the drive in my tower and make it the "D" drive, it all works fine.  As soon as I go back to firewire, I get the error message.   It has to be a windows problem.  There must be a fix, but I can't find it.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:48 AM

Answers

• This is actually caused by a bug somewhere in the Windows Firewire Stack. Basically your "Firewire" drives are really IDE drives connected to a "Firewire-IDE Bridge". The IDE spec allows a 128k buffer and most of these bridge devices don't have any overflow checking and neither does Windows' Firewire driver. When the drive is busy and the buffer fills up, the IDE controller part of the bridge freaks out and locks up the device usually requiring the PC to be rebooted and the external enclosure power cycled in order to make the drive show up again.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:49 AM