none
Possible Hardware Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me if the following setup would be possible?

I have the following:

Airport express router (one WAN port only--no LAN ports)
    PPPOE internet connection
    WHS machine
    PC
    MAC Mini

Our other router died the other day--an Airport Extreme basestation with multiple LAN ports.  I used to plug in the PC and WHS to that router.  My question is--can I plug the ethernet cable from our ISP (PPPOE) directly into the WHS, and then share its internet connection by connecting to the airport express via the WAN Port?  My problem is, I know the WHS MUST be connected to network via ethernet--not wirelessly.  But since I have the airport express only now--it's WAN port was filled by the PPPOE.  It just occured to me that I could connect PPPOE directly to one NIC card on WHS, and another ethernet cable going out to the express into it's WAN port.  Then wireless to the PC and the MAC Mini. 

Thanks for any replies--obviously a network newb here--first server will be WHS!

Saturday, June 26, 2010 11:27 AM

All replies

• No, you can't share the internet connection from your server to the rest of your home. This requires two network adapters in your server, each configured for a different network, and multi-homing is not supported. Additionally, this configuration would directly expose your server to the Internet.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:21 PM