Windows Home Server Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to backup a folder from my server storage pool on my home server manually but the folder holds more data than a single drive can hold.
    (Manually backing up because unlike the PC's on the network the server doesn't seem to backup automatically, been waiting 48+hours while each day the PC's backup as usual.)

I have 4 USB 2.0 External 500 Gig drives I have added to the "Server Backup Hard Drives" in "Server Storage" (freshly formatted during add process).
    As a whole they can backup my data, but I can't find any option for the backup to span drives. I start the backup on the first drive and when the drive fills the process fails. Also there's no option to select multiple drives nor do the "Server Backup Hard Drives" work as a pool like the "Storage Hard Drives".

Any suggestions?
    Am I missing something obvious?
    Or am I asking for the Backup to do more than it's expected/designed too?

Thanks for any suggestions or assistance.

Software/Hardware:

Windows Home Server with Power Pack 2

Hp Media Smart EX485
       Internal SATA Drives:
    • 1 - 750 Gig - Seagate Barracuda 7200
    • 2 - 1.5 Tb - Seagate Barracuda 7200
       External USB 2.0 Drives:
    • 2 - Maxtor 3200 500 Gig
    • 2 - My Book 500 Gig
    • Edited by Phoenix869 Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:00 PM formatting typo
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 8:44 PM

All replies

• I am trying to backup a folder from my server storage pool on my home server manually but the folder holds more data than a single drive can hold.
    (Manually backing up because unlike the PC's on the network the server doesn't seem to backup automatically, been waiting 48+hours while each day the PC's backup as usual.)

That's correct.  The backups of the server shares are manual.

I have 4 USB 2.0 External 500 Gig drives I have added to the "Server Backup Hard Drives" in "Server Storage" (freshly formatted during add process).
    As a whole they can backup my data, but I can't find any option for the backup to span drives.

There is no way to span drives.  You can only backup one (or more) shares that will fit entirely on a single hard drive (in your case, 500 GB).

I start the backup on the first drive and when the drive fills the process fails. Also there's no option to select multiple drives nor do the "Server Backup Hard Drives" work as a pool like the "Storage Hard Drives".

Any suggestions?
    Am I missing something obvious?
    Or am I asking for the Backup to do more than it's expected/designed too?

Thanks for any suggestions or assistance.

Software/Hardware:

Windows Home Server with Power Pack 2

Hp Media Smart EX485
       Internal SATA Drives:
    • 1 - 750 Gig - Seagate Barracuda 7200
    • 2 - 1.5 Tb - Seagate Barracuda 7200
       External USB 2.0 Drives:
    • 2 - Maxtor 3200 500 Gig
    • 2 - My Book 500 Gig

Sunday, September 27, 2009 9:39 PM
  • I have 4 USB 2.0 External 500 Gig drives I have added to the "Server Backup Hard Drives" in "Server Storage" (freshly formatted during add process).
    As a whole they can backup my data, but I can't find any option for the backup to span drives.

There is no way to span drives.  You can only backup one (or more) shares that will fit entirely on a single hard drive (in your case, 500 GB).

Well that's very unfortunate, can't believe such a simple/obvious issue was over looked in development. :(
    What's the point of adding storage/backup drives if they can't be used as a pool or multidisk environment to backup the data storage pool ?

My issue is I have one standard share on the system that has over 1.6Tb of data.

Any suggestions on how to get around this issue?
    Or know Add-in's, I must how overlooked?

Thanks for the info.

(rant)
    Really disappointing to see I can have up to/over 9Tb of storage (per HP) in my server, but unless I have a drive bigger than my biggest share Windows Home Server can't back anything up. :(
    (/rant)
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Well that's very unfortunate, can't believe such a simple/obvious issue was over looked in development. :(
    What's the point of adding storage/backup drives if they can't be used as a pool or multidisk environment to backup the data storage pool ?

My issue is I have one standard share on the system that has over 1.6Tb of data.

You'll probably have to come up with your own method for that share (such as using RoboCopy or SyncToy and manually copy the files yourself).  The good part with those is that they can be scheduled.

Or know Add-in's, I must how overlooked?

None that I know of.

Thanks for the info.

(rant)
    Really disappointing to see I can have up to/over 9Tb of storage (per HP) in my server, but unless I have a drive bigger than my biggest share Windows Home Server can't back anything up. :(
    (/rant)
    That's not exactly true.  You can still backup the other shares (assuming each of the rest are less than 500 GB), just not the one with 1.6 TB of data in it.  Also, you can always file a suggestion on Connect (or, better yet, vote on one that's already there, and I'd be willing to bet that it's already there somewhere).
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 10:25 PM

Buy a 2 TB drive ?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:56 AM

Buy a 2 TB drive ?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Yea, already said something similar.

(rant)
    (/rant)

That's not really an option at this point. And what happens when my share goes beyond the largest available drive on the market, hosed again.
    Poor design and hopefully it gets satisfactorily resolved in the near future.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:14 PM
  • IMHO the only solution at this moment would be to get an external storage device that allows you to span a number of disks. Having said that I agree there should be an option WHS to "span" backup disks, or allow backups to be spread over multiple disk. If you would like such a feature implemented please put a suggestion on the Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site and put a link in this thread so others can vote on your suggestion.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Thank you I have posted a suggestion on the Home Server Connect Feedback site.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=492885

I hope others find this to be as useful as I would.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Thank you I have posted a suggestion on the Home Server Connect Feedback site.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=492885

I hope others find this to be as useful as I would.

Well, I do think it's a good idea so I voted on your suggestion.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:48 AM