Just makes sense as a home user to backup "online" RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm not sure, but OneCare is a real great program for everything one needs, especially for the home user... However, for a "backup" that they have and with people who do not have a whole lot of room, the LiveCare is not always a sensible choice. Elements of the weather, power outages, home invasions, thefts, XP and Vista crashes, and a whole host of problematic issues can arise where it just makes sense to simply have at your control virtually an online storage facility for your backup. This is not a plug for carbonite.com or dataprotection, storevault, etc., but a cognizant approach at feeling so terribly "safe" for your data is a good idea. Again, especially for the SOHO (Small Office-Home Office) user/business or what have you.

So with the plethora of options and avenues for a solid, formidable backup in Windows locally makes sense in certain cases, the big picture would rest better having everything privately and securely backed up online. It really provides peace of mind, less ambiguity, and cross-compatible should one decide, "hey, I'm done with Windows...I'll now try Linux and one of their distros. So what I've done is backed up my data for both Windows and other operating systems that when finally landing back home on my home machine if I need data, there it is, safe, encrypted, secure, and not a "care" in the world. Ah, who knows... technology is always three years ahead of the status quo anyway...

mak

Monday, September 17, 2007 1:23 AM

All replies

• In 2.0, OneCare now has online photo backup. This will be a value-added option for OneCare. I suspect that they are testing the waters with this service and may expand it to backup other file types to an online storage solution.

-steve

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:45 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Great point! Thank you... I just recently installed the trial version as I am 'testing' it. For some reason I only have OneCare v. 1.6..

1) Is 2.0 a beta? If so, how or should I get it?

2) Windows can confuse the novice user, for example let me ask you, what is the DIRECT relationship to Live OneCare versus Windows Defender? Amazing that I cannot find online or within my network and systems a functional distinction between the defender and OneCare. I wonder if they work together and probably they do, however, again, for the novice user and in my consulting I couldn't answer this one.

3) Backing up is okay to an external drive, but when one is on the road and the requirement for backup can be on your DVD-RW for example and so forth, one still needs at least five gigs unless specified what backup is needed by the user. Tough call while on the road.

4) Lastly, OneCare doesn't go after a partition in the backup, only C. Please tell me if I am wrong, as for example, I run a lot of programs that contain data on another partition, for example a D partition, i.e., Photoshop, Dreamweaver Studio 8, etc... I wonder how one can over come this as well. Another issue is the defrag where if one has a scheduled task and defrags while OneCare is scanning, the defrag completely stops or runs into a road block. Although it is easy to change times, the default time that is recommended is good. But now one must change that as well.

oops!, last thing, and get this... In Windows Live MSN mail or hotail for example, when sending attachments, Microsoft is using TREND MICRO, amazing...why not their high-end network OneCare? Hmmm.. Files should be scanned with your own blood/software, and not promulgate another company. Weird one there...

michael

Monday, September 17, 2007 5:13 PM
  • 1.6 is the released version. You posted to the backup topic of the beta. Navigate up to the top of the forum, then select the Install and Activate Beta 2.0 topic - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1740&SiteID=2 - there is a post with the instructions on how to obtain the beta.

When OneCare is installed, Defender is disabled. It is not removed as it will be enabled IF OneCare is uninstalled, plus it cannot be removed from a Vista machine. Defender protection is included in OneCare.

When on the road, you can cancel backup or carry one of those pocket drives for backing up to. I've got a tiny 120 gig portable drive that needs no external power and can be picked up for less than $100 these days.

OneCare's backup will backup data from all internal drives - not external. However, backup does not look in every folder by default and selects files to be backed up based on type. You can, in 1.6 add or exclude files and folders for backup. In 2.0 things changed - you can never backup \Program Files and selecting a folder for inclusion does not backup all files in that folder.

I suspect that the reason is simple, actually. Forefront security for the Enterprise may not work with the http mail environment of Windows Live Hotmail at this time. Of course, that's just a guess on my part.

-steve

Monday, September 17, 2007 5:30 PM
  • WOW...amazing posts by you. Very good Steve...thanks a lot. I will not update the 2.0 download at this time unless it becomes a final code release soon. Do you know when it will prompt out of the beta? One thing I mentioned is of partitions within a hard drive. It says it won't do partitions, and is this true in backups? I've also noticed that in Vista using OneCare, you can only have one administrator account on the same machine and by default it seems, OneCare disables the inherent Windows Firewall which I'm guessing is built into the one care.

I am a developer, and it is frustrating as all get-out that I have to turn off the UAC in order to develop and write code using certain software. Vista only creates standard accounts from the main administrator account, and the UAC would be nice having it OFF on one account, and ON on another on the same machine, the former to write-code and publish, the other for research and obvious browsing.

Here's another hoot: I have to cross-compatibilize my code writing, and so I have to beta-test in all browsers including that of accessibility browsers, and Opera and Netscape don't work at all to test the code. I can back-it-up, yes, but with the Firewall off and OneCare on, it blocks the latest versions of these browsers from connecting even without a proxy. What a "errrrr".... Yes, great idea of the external drive that you use...will do that while on the road.

So is the natural windows firewall turned off while OneCare is running during backup? What about any proxy issues, and can one allow programs in OneCare to pass through so I can beta-test code and web development in the other browsers and use the back-up?

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:39 PM
  • When 2.0 is released, all users will be updated to it automatically.

Yes, the Windows Firewall is also disabled by OneCare.

OneCare should not be blocking any of the standard browsers like Opera and Netscape.

OneCare can be set to allow programs that are not on the known trusted list. Open OneCare, change settings, firewall tab. However, if you are writing an exe or com file - a program - every time the program is compiled, OneCare will block it until you allow it and retry the connection.

Have you considered using Virtual Machines for your testing? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

-steve

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Are you awesome or what?...great idea! Only problem is the locally the software has to "save" the code or CSS, etc. It cannot when UAC is on, but I'm going to check into the VM. I found OneCare "is" blocking latest versions of Opera and Netscape 9+, so that is an issue that I need to resolve. If you look, Netscape's code for the browser is almost identical to Mozilla's in that capacity, and even though Firefox can pass and browse, Netscape and the code does not, therefore, can't save the online to offline code from pages without OneCare interfering, especially with any proxy and using the IPv6 in Vista and not the IPv4....

wow...

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:32 PM
  • Can VM2007 run on Vista Home Premium?

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:51 PM
  • It can, but it can't. There's definitely a bifurcation, but I found a work-around...

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:57 PM
  • As you've found, technically, VP 2007 is supported on Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate.

-steve

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:26 AM
  •  

Care to share? :-) ... I've been trying all day with no luck!
    Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:16 PM
  • If you try to install Virtual PC 2007 onto a Vista Home Premium machine, the installer will throw a dailog warning you that you can't do that. You simply ignore the warning and proceed. It installs. However, it is unsupported.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:56 PM
  • What is the work-around
    SH Pant
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 4:07 PM
  • If you mean how to install VPC to an unsupported/supported OS, simply clear the warning and proceed.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:18 PM