Backup - cannot access central backup device RRS feed

• Question

• I've uninstalled/reinstalled and still can't backup my circle of onecare pc's.

I get this msg "Onecare cannot access the central backup device because of unknown errors. Please try after some time."

My backup device is an external device (plenty of freespace) connected to my laptop via hi speed USB. I've backed up several weeks ago fine - but I continue to get this error msg the past several days.

I can't back up my other circle of pc's.

I'm running Windows XP professional SP2.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• This Microsoft Knowledge Base article may be helpful in troubleshooting the backup issue - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943915/en-us

If you continue to receive the error message please contact support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:08 AM
  • I've uninstalled/reinstalled Onecare three times.

I've formated my USB connected hard drive, rebooted and still can't get Onecare to access my back up device to back  up.

I'll try to reach your support via link above for more solutions.

Could it be a path on/off setting that won't allow me to access the device?

What settings should I look at?

Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Can you backup from the PC where the drive is attached?

Have you created a network Share with permissions for all users to have full access to the Share on the USB drive connected to the Hub PC?

You might want to reset the backup plan and try saving it again after confirming that the network share has been properly configured.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Repeat this for each PC in the Circle.

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Click Change Settings again and go back to the backup tab.

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Click Change Settings again and go back to the backup tab.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select Backup Plan for All PCs, choose device and point to your Share.

Click on each PC in the list on the left and click Turn on backup on this PC

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Stephen,

I'm having a similar issue.  I finally got my onecare to actually see the network, and now it can no longer access the central backup device.  Back beofre all thins nonsense happened, the machine was backing up just fine.

• The network IS set to home/work
    • Filesharing IS turned on
    • The computer the central backup device is plugged into is acessable and in the circle (all otehr machines can successfully access it and backup to it)
    • This machine previously was able to backup to the device before i had to reinstall onecare
    • Your instructions in the previuous post are unnacceptable.  This is used as a central backup for a small development group.  Following your instructions would nuke the current backups for all other machines. 
    • We are trialing OneCare for Server wich allows up to 24 other PCs into the onecare circle.  We currently have 5 PCs (not including this one) backing up to the central device.  the backup is set up to be staggered by 2 hours for each machine so we don't possible run into USB bandwidth issue (though I doubt that would be a problem after the initial backup runs).
    • This has been a very frustraiting process to date.  Otehr security solutions we have used in teh past were much easier to setup and run.  We chose OneCare because I have had such great sucess with it at home (3 machines), and because it seems to run lighter and less invasive than Symantec/McAfee.

Are there any solutions that DO NOT require that I reset the backup config for all other machines?

/christien

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:43 PM
  • TheCatWhisperer,

Your bullet point stating you are trialing OneCare for Server really obviates the purpose of your entire issue. Are you aware that Microsoft announced on November 18th, 2008 that OneCare sales would cease as of June 30th, 2009?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/64d5a8bf-5c4f-4389-8510-76f233c65aa6

Though the information about what will happen with OneCare for server is less clear, it appears it may also receive support until the end of existing subscriptions, at most until the end of 2010. For those with the Home (3 PC) version of OneCare, this will get them through until the release of Morro, the new free offering which will be anti-malware only, no extras like backup.

If I were you, I'd simply use another method (local?) for backup of that one PC until I could find another product to take it's place. You are currently not dedicated enough to its use to spend the additional time on a product that can only serve you for about a year.

I am hopeful that these changes will cause Microsoft to look closely at their marketing of the ForeFront Security suite as it relates to the MS Windows SBS platform, since the cost is often what stops potential customers from trying it. Since the core anti-malware product is basically the same in all Microsoft products, it's simply the management that needs to be tuned for the SBS system. However, I don't believe ForeFront has anything to offer relating to backup either, so this would still require use of a different solution, but there are several strong products in that area already.

OneCareBear

Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hi, christien.
    I'm going to have to agree with OneCareBear here. As a trial user of the Server product and the client licenses, I'd not go crazy trying to fix it as OneCare for Server is a brand new product that was killed immediately after release. Yes, it will be supported through the end of life - likely the end of 2010 - and can probably be purchased just like the retail product until late this year, but it was released out of beta only a month or so before the 11/18 announcement about the end of life for OneCare. I'll also add that I personally don't like or use OneCare backup as it is still too flaky and limited. I will continue to recommend that people use it if they have OneCare and have no other backup solution, since it is better than nothing, but in an environment like yours, I think a more robust backup solution makes a whole lot more sense. I would actually recommend that you look into adding a Windows Home Server into your environment to backup the client computers. It supports full image backup (bare metal restore) for up to 10 computers on the LAN performed daily. It provides many other features, too, such as shared storage. I would not recommend that it be used to backup your SBS server(s), but even that can be done if you wish to investigate this. I know that there are some SBS MVPs who set this up for clients of theirs.

The instructions I posted (and have recommended many times in the past) work quite well for a simple environment where the backup problem is limited to a single PC. Where it seems to get really tricky is when the Hub PC, which is hosting the backup device, is replaced or reinstalled. For whatever reason, this seems to mess up the Centralized Backup. Yes, this does mean resetting the plan for *all* PCs in that case.

In your case, using OneCare for Server and having a PC within your environment host the backup drive, I have no idea what the best solution would be to resolve why the backup device can't be seen by the PC that is hosting the backup drive after the reinstall of OneCare.

My instructions would be problematic for your specific situation if the PC hosting the backup device is the Hub PC in a Circle and you are turning off backup for all PCs in the Circle. I don't think that is a problem if the drive is simply attached as a network Share. On the other hand, turning off backup for just that PC and then saving the plan and turning it back on should not be an issue, either.

What have you actually done to try to resolve this part of the overall issue (after that network driver problem)? And do you encounter the problem while trying to configure backup for this PC to point to the previously configured centralized device or does it save fine, but then throw an error when you try to run the backup?

I realize that you are using the trial software, but your best bet, if you wish to try to resolve this for your PC, may be to contact OneCare support. And, yes, that would be via email, unfortunately. :-(

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Good points guys ;) 

I'll take a look into the Windows Home Server solution.  I don't suppose you can build a windows home server?  I suppose it has to be bought as a device???  Similar to there is no way to beuild a windows media center extender, you have to buy an appliance from Linksys, et al.  Irritating :P

Oh well, they aren't too expensive, but we were really hoping to find a lightweight cheap solution that handled everything.  We were previously using Symantec, and it was a pig & expensive for our size ($995.00 USD/year as opposed to Onecare4Server's $359.95/year, and we would have been able to have 2x as many machines in the circle.)

*sigh* ;)
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Yes, you can indeed build your own Windows Home Server box. The software is available from many suppliers such as newegg for a pretty reasonable price for an OS. :-)
    You'll find loads of information on the Home Server forums (click the link for Forums Home at the top of this page and scroll down to find the WIndows Home Server forums) and some nice detailed instructions on a home build from Donavon West on his blog here:

http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2008/04/build-green-400-windows-home-server_2871.html 

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 9, 2009 4:43 PM