User password expired, no way to reset? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got several users set up on my Vail server, including myself; recently I started getting the "user name or password is incorrect" error. I figured they had expired as I've seen they will do after 42 days, so I tried to logon using the administrator account - but there does not appear to be any way to access user passwords now! I've opened the dashboard and opened the users tab, and there is nothing that indicates "reset password"...it seems as though my only choice now would be to completely obliterate my own user account and re-create it...is that really the case?
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:38 PM

Answers

• For the record, the bug here is that Vail’s passwords expire. This is not this way in the new Vail preview.  Passwords do not expire.

Thanks,
       Sean

This posting is “AS IS” and confers no rights

"kariya21" wrote in message news:94c3bf77-bc6a-4b16-b271-c6624d47062a...
    I am indeed using the original beta - have not had time to get the new one set up yet - and I've never been able to get the Remote Access website working (my router's not supported and doesn't want to play nice). 
    Did you try forwarding the ports yourself (instead of relying on uPnP)?
    Is there really no way for an administrator to change a user's password?
    You could try doing it from the Computer Management MMC from the server desktop.  It's unsupported (since you're logging into the server desktop), but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:38 PM

All replies

• I've got several users set up on my Vail server, including myself; recently I started getting the "user name or password is incorrect" error. I figured they had expired as I've seen they will do after 42 days, so I tried to logon using the administrator account - but there does not appear to be any way to access user passwords now! I've opened the dashboard and opened the users tab, and there is nothing that indicates "reset password"...it seems as though my only choice now would be to completely obliterate my own user account and re-create it...is that really the case?
    If you are using the original beta version released in April, there is no interface in the Dashboard to reset passwords.  However, you should be able to change it through the Remote Access website (although I'm not sure about that since I'm not using that build any more). 
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:18 PM
  • I am indeed using the original beta - have not had time to get the new one set up yet - and I've never been able to get the Remote Access website working (my router's not supported and doesn't want to play nice). Is there really no way for an administrator to change a user's password?
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:35 PM
  • I am indeed using the original beta - have not had time to get the new one set up yet - and I've never been able to get the Remote Access website working (my router's not supported and doesn't want to play nice).  
    Did you try forwarding the ports yourself (instead of relying on uPnP)?

You could try doing it from the Computer Management MMC from the server desktop.  It's unsupported (since you're logging into the server desktop), but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Remote access is where I was told my password needed to be changed. This is something that's never, never, never been mentioned in anything I've read so far. However, when I was told to change the password, I did, and there was no longer a problem. My dashboard password was not changed and there was no notice that it should be.

Two days later this build came out, and I installed it. So, the password problem is moot for me. :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"kariya21 [MVP]" wrote in message news:8e5e4f6a-c480-44bc-a43a-749bf21cd2cc@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I've got several users set up on my Vail server, including myself; recently I started getting the "user name or password is incorrect" error. I figured they had expired as I've seen they will do after 42 days, so I tried to logon using the administrator account - but there does not appear to be any way to access user passwords now! I've opened the dashboard and opened the users tab, and there is nothing that indicates "reset password"...it seems as though my only choice now would be to completely obliterate my own user account and re-create it...is that really the case?

If you are using the original beta version released in April, there is no interface in the Dashboard to reset passwords.  However, you should be able to change it through the Remote Access website (although I'm not sure about that since I'm not using that build any more).

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Have you tried updating the firmware on your router, Taser? I had to do that, and this time around, the router was configured quickly and correctly.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"taser8" wrote in message news:766b925d-be7d-4edd-91f4-caf79862ad6e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I am indeed using the original beta - have not had time to get the new one set up yet - and I've never been able to get the Remote Access website working (my router's not supported and doesn't want to play nice). Is there really no way for an administrator to change a user's password?

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Okay, I was able to reset the password (AND set it to "never expire") from the Server Management interface after RD'ing into the Vail server.

I tried a quick pass at getting the ports forwarded but honestly got to a point where I felt like I was a little over my head in terms of the potential for messing things up...I'm using ATT's U-Verse, through a 2Wire 3800HGV-B. I'd love to find out how to get it working but I just got to a point where I felt like I was changing settings at random and was starting to risk my network connection...is there any good reference on how to get that working manually? Any help is appreciated...

Sean

Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:13 PM
  • For the record, the bug here is that Vail’s passwords expire. This is not this way in the new Vail preview.  Passwords do not expire.

Thanks,
       Sean

This posting is “AS IS” and confers no rights

"kariya21" wrote in message news:94c3bf77-bc6a-4b16-b271-c6624d47062a...
    I am indeed using the original beta - have not had time to get the new one set up yet - and I've never been able to get the Remote Access website working (my router's not supported and doesn't want to play nice). 
    Did you try forwarding the ports yourself (instead of relying on uPnP)?
    You could try doing it from the Computer Management MMC from the server desktop.  It's unsupported (since you're logging into the server desktop), but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:38 PM