So where are my backed up files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I bought a WD external hard drive to use with my Windows Live OneCare.  Its all hooked up, and my computer and OneCare recognize the device.  One care spent 2 hours backing up everything on my computer and then said it was finished.  However, when I go to My Computer/WD (ESmile My Book (the hard drive) I can't find my files.  I see a folder called "Windows OneCare backup" and within it, a folder named the same thing as I call my computer on One Care.  But when I try to open the folder, it says Access Denied.  Where's all my stuff??

Thanks,

Jen.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hello, Jen.

Your files are safely backed up into that folder that is being protected by OneCare. OneCare zips up the files into that folder and maintains a catalog of the contents. In order to access that folder outside of OneCare, you need to take ownership of the folder, but the best way to review your backup is to open OneCare and select restore. Select the option to perform a custom restore and don't actually restore the data - browse the list of files available to be restored.

-steve

Friday, April 4, 2008 12:31 AM