AV Scan ridiculously slow RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm running the v2.0 beta on Windows Vista Ultimate. I have an Athlon X2 4800, 4GB of DDR400 memory and 3 200GB drives and a 250GB drive (all Sata II).

I decided to try the beta as it provides an all-in-one solution but I started the first scan (which, by default, is supposedly daily!) and it's taken 7 hours so far and only got to 61% !!!!

My drives are nowhere near full (268.45GB in total has been taken up). With this kind of performance I'm afraid to say you won't be selling very many copies of this package. It is absolutely woeful compared to the competition. After reading comments on these forums about version 1.5 I'd like to know what improvements, if any, have been made?

Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:05 PM

All replies

• Do your drives contain large numbers of either zip files or images? Both of these have been known to cause long scans in the past, though generally the first scan is the worst since the scan apparently 'learns' some things about your system during the first scan. There have also been some issues with scanning of zips on Vista relating to the decompressor itself, sicne OneCare simply uses whatever decompression software you have associated on your PC already, though I don't recall all the particulars.

In general, those with long scan times have an issue existing on their system such as the above or possibly the remnants of another AV package which is slowing the process. Finding the conflict isn't always straightforward though.

OneCareBear

Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:43 PM
  • I have to agree with the title of this post 2 320gigs takes a day to scan.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:18 PM
  • I posted in another thread about the same issue. I have a 400 gig drive about half full and it took days to complete a scan. Most of time I cancel the tuneup because I have to shut off the machine. I'm running a 3.0. dual core Pentium D too. Also the defragmenter starts and and stops and reports that it will complete during the next tuneup. It still hasn't finnished after about a dozen tuneups. If they just fixed the virus scanner and defragmenter I would have been happy. I don't think the program was improved, maybe just expanded by adding a few more features. Here's a list of some of the new features.

* Multi-PC and home network management. Helps ease management of multiple-PC environments by providing a single navigation bar for monitoring the security and maintenance of networked computers. Also enables one-click actions to resolve issues among computers within a home PC network.

* Printer sharing support. Makes it easy to connect printers to local networks so all users in the vicinity can use the same printer.

* Start-time optimizer. Speeds PC boot time by removing rarely used applications from start-up menu. This helps to address one of the noticeable areas of frustration for PC users as time goes on.

* Proactive fixes and recommendations. OneCare constantly monitors the specific configuration of the user’s system and makes proactive fixes and recommendations to improve the computing experience.

* Monthly reports. Provides a summary in the Windows Live OneCare dialogue box of key activities and recommended actions for all PCs in a local network.

* Centralized backup. Enables users to centrally configure and monitor backups for all PCs covered under the same OneCare subscription, with the data from all PCs backed up to a central location.

* Online photo backup. Keeps precious photos safe from theft or accidental loss by backing them up to a secure, offsite location in Windows Live Folders (available at an extra cost once v2.0 is out of beta).

Friday, July 13, 2007 4:17 AM
  • Well, I've had enough....It's coming out. AV Scan took 11 hours (absolutely ridiculous), the defragmenter has never worked yet and so my status is always shown as fair. The firewall does'nt look any better than the built-in Vista firewall. I'd steer clear of this, I can't believe Microsoft have the sheer audasity to charge people for this!!! If you want a MUCH better security suite still in beta, tryout the ESET Smart Security Suite. That's what I'll be going back to after I dump this pile of ***.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 12:40 PM
  • Thanks for trying OneCare, Bill, but you never answered anything that OneCareBear raised. Yes, he didn't raise them as specific questions, but you made no comments about the profile of your system. Your scan should not have taken 11 hours - on that we agree.

Based on what I've seen in the forum today, it appears that there may be a problem with Defrag and Cleanup in the beta. I trust you're talking about the *beta* of 2.0 and not the production 1.6 trial.

I don't think you really looked at the firewall configuration if you think it doesn't "look" better. The Vista firewall technology is what is used by OneCare, but OneCare builds an easy interface on it.

The ESET products are excellent, so they are a good choice.

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Steve,

This post concerns your note about Defrag and Cleanup on the beta (not the other stuff). They appeared to work but the report said could not perform tasks due to unknown problem, tried twice. But, something good is happening, because after uninstalling 1.6 and moving to 2.0 a full 6GB were freed up. I frankly expected the opposite, but was pleasantly surprised. Could this be a bug issue? I tried  to file one about a dead button (Activity something) but the Connect site said I needed special permission to submit, so I couldn't. So this is some good FYI to pass on.

Friday, July 13, 2007 10:58 PM
  • i'm getting a similar problem... i've had to stop the scan a few times to turn my computer off, today the scan was on for the better part of the day (8 hrs or so) and only got 21% complete. It seemed to spend ages on the recycle bin stuff (so i emptied that) but that didn't seem to make a difference

i'm running vista home premium, with wloc beta 2.0

is there a resolution to this???

Mark

Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:10 AM
  • Hi, Mark. What kind of drive space are you configured with? Any external drives? Any mapped network drives? If either of the latter are in your configuration, open OneCare and exclude these drives from being scanned by OneCare - that should help with scanning speed.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 6:00 PM
  • stephen, i'm got a 160gb hdd, with about 95 gb free... no external drives or mapped network drives (i have got some network shared folders from the Windows home server and tried to add these to the exclusions, but wloc wouldn't allow it to be added)

i started another scan this morning around 9am, its 2pm here now (in australia) and so far the scan is 19% complete... from what i can gather is that it spends ages on cab files

Mark

Monday, July 16, 2007 4:01 AM
  • I've been using One Care since its start a few years back and slow virus scans are the norm. 

I bought a new Laptop with Vista 64Bit ultimate on it which was not supported by OneCare so I purchased Norton 360.  Of course over time I found it also had problems and Quirks.  Some things that required uninstalling and reinstalling the product.  When I learned that Version 2 of OneCare was to support a 64Bit O/S I was eager to try it. 

For the most part as in previous versions I like the simplicity of OneCare but the Virus Scan is still painfully slow.  The Norton product would scan my entire machine in just over an hour.  To do the same thing One Care takes about 8 hours!  That's a huge difference that I do think should be improved. 

Monday, July 16, 2007 4:59 AM
  • Yes, Mark, cabs and zips do take a long time. If OneCare wouldn't allow you to add the WHS shared folders to exclusions, I suspect that they aren't mapped to a drive letter, but are simple Shares - they won't be scanned.

-steve

Monday, July 16, 2007 5:17 PM
  • well my scan just finished... don't think it took exactly 24hrs, but it was pretty close 23.5hrs

is it best to tell wloc to ignore all cabs and/or zips???

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:16 AM
  • It would be best if the scans went faster and could scan all compressed files, too. I think that the methodology used by OneCare to perform a deep scan may be thorough, but it is slow as molasses.

Yes, you can exclude compressed files from scanning, if desired, and it will speed things up. Exclude ISO images, .cab files, and the like. If you execute one of them, to extract files, and it is infected, OneCare should stop it then. You can also right click and scan before opening.

-steve

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:53 AM
  • My old 1GHz Toshiba laptop with about 20GB used of a 60GB drive finishes scanning the 1,088,500 files, including CABs for the Vista Ultimate installation in just under 1 1/2 hours. If you extrapolate this for the quantity of disk space you have in use, your scanning speed should be similar, so roughly 3 hours, for 40GB and 2,000,000 files, etc.

What generally causes slow scanning is whatever application is in use for opening the type of files that are scanning slowly. In the case of ZIPs and possibly also CABs, this is usually the built-in decompressor provided with the OS or might be something like WinZip if you added this to your PC. To determine if this is the issue, try uninstalling the application and running the scan manually. If it's the built-in decompressor, there may be another issue, though I'm not sure if a reason for the slow decompression with Vista on some systems was found or not. I do have 1GB of RAM, so limited memory is another possible reason for this issue.

If you store large numbers of ZIP or other compressed installation files on your hard drives, you may want to set Exclusions within the WLOC AV scanner, since you're really just re-scanning the same files over and over again. Since they'll be scanned when you extract them to a different folder anyway, this is really just a waste of time. However, I would recommend that you continue scanning any folder(s) used for Internet downloads and then move the files to the separate storage locations later. This way the main download package itself is scanned after download, though you can accomplish the same thing by right-clicking the file and scanning manually after it's complete.

OneCareBear

< EDIT > Great minds think alike. Obviously Steve and I were writing these at the same time, hopefully our different angles on the same information will help someone.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:04 AM
  • My scan started at roughly 10:30pm EST and it is now 4:15am EST. It is at 11%. It seems to be hanging on the system restore files for my OS. I am running the 32-bit version of Vista Home Premium. I will let this run overnight and see where it is at when I get up.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:20 AM
  • Can you confirm that there are no other security processes running on the PC from another antivirus or spyware program? How large is the system drive and how full is it? Do you have any 3rd party compression software such as Winzip installed?

-steve

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:02 PM
  • Ok,

My laptop successfully made it through a tune up sometime last week, it took about 6 hours.  Subsequent scans are taking about 3 hours. 

Now my desktop is the next goal.  I'll have to get the exact specs, but I haven't been able to complete a Tune Up because the Virus scan piece is taking up to 36 hours!  Inevitably someone (kids) uses it and turns it off before it completes. 

Both of my machines are high end running Vista Home Premium / Vista Ultimate 64Bit. 

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:47 PM
  • I do have PCTools Sptware Doctor running on my PC. I have a 250GB Seagate SATA HD with 152GB Free. I have Winrar installed. When I got up the scan was complete. so it took at most 12 hours.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:35 PM
  • Is Spyware Doctor a real time protection agent? If so, disable it. You should see an improvement in the scan time.

-steve

Friday, July 27, 2007 1:35 AM
  • Norton 360 won't let you right click and scan an individual file. This is definately a PLUS for OneCare!

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:08 PM
  • I have had the same Issue with slow scans, Not only slow scans, but also telling me that a Trojan was detected but has not been quarantine, without telling me where it was detected or what cam I do to trace it.

Other Issues, This is my third time I have been talked into keeping One Care by the One Care team. But they had me install free AVG, PC Tools, and Lava soft along with the Live One Care. I tried that and the others security systems detected many infections which one care had failed to.

This system would be great but per your team I needed other third party security to make sure it caught all the malware out there. Should I even bother with One care and just USE the others that are effective and use less memory

The second time i was told to un-install the One Care and do a system install and re-install of Live One Care to get it to work.

Last time One of the one care Team spent over 4 hours with me on the phone taking my system apart and re-installing one care. Since he could not get it to work he had me install a new user on my system and transfer all my data over to the other user. What a mess. and its still a mess.

Last time One Care was not checking e-mail attachments , will this be corrected in the new release/

I have plenty of disk space and it uses an ungodly amount of memory at any time of the day, My system is slower than molasses. No I do not have any Mal ware , and scans are Green light nd clean. Why does this use so much memory at any time it is on , not only when scanning. This is a memory hog.

Any solutions to fix all these problems?

My system says Clean and green all the time, run a PC tools on it and I finds malware.

I have been talked into keeping this three times. But It has been a waste of time and money.

The One Care Live team should also try selling used cars, they can do a real good sales job and making one think its my PC that is causing the Issues. thus scanning the way it should,

.. After three times ...sorry i was a fool the past three. Learned a lesson. A big hint was when they had me install third party free security ( Three of them) to make sure One Care live was detecting all that it was supposed to? Is this policy to add third party along with One Care?

Before One Care Live I never had issues and my system ran at great speeds.This has  been two years of babysiting my security daily.

What would you  do after so many documented Issues?

F. Garcia

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 9:09 PM
  • Frank, I assume you are using the released version of OneCare. You posted to a thread in the 2.0 beta topic.

I'm sorry that you've had problems with OneCare. Many people have few to none, though you will read lots of problems in the forums, because that is where users with problems will turn to.

I don't know why you were told to install PC Tools and AVG. If you have multiple real time security products running, you will have problems. AdAware free is not a problem, but what it finds as threats are usually nothing more than tracking cookies that OneCare does not deal with as you can configure your browser to block them. If other real malware was detected and removed by these other products, that would indeed be a problem and the specifics should be reported to Microsoft - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=662566&SiteID=2

If you still have AVG installed and running, remove it. If PC Tools is running and monitoring, remove it. Both programs will cause system instability and performance issues with OneCare installed and running. This is the case for all antivirus programs. And, no, it is not policy to install 3rd party tools, but sometimes using 3rd party tools to remove an infection missed by OneCare is advisable.

OneCare does not and will not check email as it comes in. If you execute the attachment or try to open it, OneCare's protection kicks in a scans it and blocks it if it is infected. When a complete scan is performed during a tune-up, email attachments are scanned. These are also the most common reason for the not helpful message "quarantine failed." 

See this post for information about Quarantine Failed - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1548384&SiteID=2

Once again, I'm sorry for the problems you've encountered over time with OneCare.

-steve

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:37 AM
  •  Frank I. garcia wrote:

I have had the same Issue with slow scans, Not only slow scans, but also telling me that a Trojan was detected but has not been quarantine, without telling me where it was detected or what cam I do to trace it.

No I do not have any Mal ware , and scans are Green light nd clean. Why does this use so much memory at any time it is on , not only when scanning.

My system says Clean and green all the time, run a PC tools on it and I finds malware.

Quoted post was editted by deletion of some of the content, nothing quoted was changed, but it is out of its full context.

I'm thinking these conditions must have pre-existed the installation of WLOC. It is difficult to clean up a severely infected system and sometimes it does take more than one tool.  The best method I've found it to remove the drive and slave it to another CLEAN system and clean the problems from the infective drive, yes it will take a VERY long time, but it has never failed me.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:04 AM
  • I have been running OC Beta 2 on two machines, since it was released, with no problems. Yesterday I installed it (2.0.2392.4) on a third machine and have been trying to complete the first Tune Up for over 24 hours now. When it gets to the Scan for viruses and spyware phase it seems to be locked up. As I write this it has been scanning the C:\drive for over 9 hours and does not even show a percentage of completion yet.

This is on a XP/SP2 Home system with a 1.54 GHz Athalon 1800. The C: drive is only 21.7 GB total with 5.4 GB used. OC has never even tried to scan the 10 GB D: drive, 928 MB in use.

For now I'm going to just shut it down but would appreciate any suggestions for a work around.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 3:16 PM
  •  Vegasslotguy wrote:

I have been running OC Beta 2 on two machines, since it was released, with no problems. Yesterday I installed it (2.0.2392.4) on a third machine and have been trying to complete the first Tune Up for over 24 hours now. When it gets to the Scan for viruses and spyware phase it seems to be locked up. As I write this it has been scanning the C:\drive for over 9 hours and does not even show a percentage of completion yet.

This is on a XP/SP2 Home system with a 1.54 GHz Athalon 1800. The C: drive is only 21.7 GB total with 5.4 GB used. OC has never even tried to scan the 10 GB D: drive, 928 MB in use.

For now I'm going to just shut it down but would appreciate any suggestions for a work around.

It sounds like there may be a conflict going on. Any other security package still installed and active on that machine? If not, then your best bet is to contact support to have it looked into. 

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

-steve

Thursday, November 8, 2007 6:02 PM