Installing Add-ins/Software ... Will it cause any issues? RRS feed

• Question

• If I install/uninstall lots of WHS add-ins, will I need to reformat/reinstall the WHS OS eventually due to the number of orphaned DLLs, registry entries, etc?

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:34 PM

Answers

• For the most part, as long as you're only installing add-ins, I don't think you'll have too much trouble of that sort. That said, you should carefully consider each add-in before you install it. Will it do something that "sounds interesting"? Or will it do something that you actually have a need for? Is it just to expose ways to tweak your server, most of which you will probably never use? Or does it offer tuning that you really need? You should also consider the likely reliability. Not all add-ins are as robust as one might want, and there are a few that can cause issues with your server upon uninstallation.

There are very few add-ins that I would consider "essential". I use Avast! for Windows Home Server, because I like (and use) the central virus protection monitoring it provides. I also use the Windows Home Server Toolkit add-in. That's it. I don't need to put additional web sites on my server (I have a hosting provider with way more bandwidth than I have at home), I don't need media capabilities beyond those I have already, etc. I have an HP MediaSmart server, so I don't need the Disk Management add-in. And so on.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:01 PM

All replies

• For the most part, as long as you're only installing add-ins, I don't think you'll have too much trouble of that sort. That said, you should carefully consider each add-in before you install it. Will it do something that "sounds interesting"? Or will it do something that you actually have a need for? Is it just to expose ways to tweak your server, most of which you will probably never use? Or does it offer tuning that you really need? You should also consider the likely reliability. Not all add-ins are as robust as one might want, and there are a few that can cause issues with your server upon uninstallation.

There are very few add-ins that I would consider "essential". I use Avast! for Windows Home Server, because I like (and use) the central virus protection monitoring it provides. I also use the Windows Home Server Toolkit add-in. That's it. I don't need to put additional web sites on my server (I have a hosting provider with way more bandwidth than I have at home), I don't need media capabilities beyond those I have already, etc. I have an HP MediaSmart server, so I don't need the Disk Management add-in. And so on.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 3:01 PM
  • If I install/uninstall lots of WHS add-ins, will I need to reformat/reinstall the WHS OS eventually due to the number of orphaned DLLs, registry entries, etc?

I am with Ken.  I have always taken the "less is more" strategy with WHS.  I have avast!, WHS Toolkit, Disk Management (I don't have an HP MSS), and MyMovies (great app with Media Center).  If there is any other add-in I would even consider installing, I always test it extensively in a VM first.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:22 AM