Recovering homeserver.com domain name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently had some trouble with remote access, so I "unconfigured" the Router and Domain Name in the remote access tab under settings.

I reconfigured the router and tested it to make sure it was working correctly. I went to reconfigure the Domain Name, but now i'm unable to register my previous domain name. I tried logging in with another Live ID that I might have used originally, but that didn't work as well.

Should i automatically get my previous domain name if i login with the correct Live ID? Is there any way to check what Live ID is attached to my previous homeserver.com domain name?

Regards,

Tim

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:49 AM

Answers

• There's no way that I know of to find out what live ID is associated with a particular homeserver.com subdomain. But is it possible that your domain name has run afoul of the Live Domains unacceptable words list? There's a long, and unpublished, list of words that you can't use as a vanity URL; for example you can't have one that includes the text string 'server' anywhere in it.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:05 PM
  • When you go through the Remote Access page to set up your Domain Name, if you are logged in with the same ID you used for the previous name, then, (at least when I re-set one of mine,) there was a drop-down box where I could either enter a new name, or choose my 'old' name from the box.

What do you see on that screen when you go through it?

Colin

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:50 PM

All replies

• There's no way that I know of to find out what live ID is associated with a particular homeserver.com subdomain. But is it possible that your domain name has run afoul of the Live Domains unacceptable words list? There's a long, and unpublished, list of words that you can't use as a vanity URL; for example you can't have one that includes the text string 'server' anywhere in it.
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:05 PM
  • I don't think that's likely... the registered name was "chueh.homeserver.com".

What should the settings dialogue look like when I log in with the "correct" Live ID? Will it still take me to the License agreement screen? Or will it go directly to a screen that shows what my registered name is?

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 2:56 PM
  • When you go through the Remote Access page to set up your Domain Name, if you are logged in with the same ID you used for the previous name, then, (at least when I re-set one of mine,) there was a drop-down box where I could either enter a new name, or choose my 'old' name from the box.

What do you see on that screen when you go through it?

Colin

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 3:50 PM
  •  

After logging in I see the "Privacy Statement and Agreement". After agreeing to that, I'm only given the option to select a new name.

I've tried both Live IDs that I've used in the past and neither work. I'm pretty sure I registered the original domain for my homeserver with one of these.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 10:08 PM
  • Alright, Problem Solved.

Turns out I "brilliantly" signed up a new Live ID just for my homeserver and completely forgot about it. Found it written down somewhere and it worked perfectly. (Got the option to select my existing Domain or a new one).

Thanks for all your help!

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 10:12 PM