Unable to install Client Connector on fresh WHS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

At the weekend I formatted and reinstalled my WHS due to problems with the connector not working on Win 7 x64 machines. After the installation I ran Windows Update and it downloaded all the latest updates and installed UR3.

When all the updates were complete I decided to add my laptop and PC so removed the old version for the previous WHS installation, rebooted and then tried to join my new WHS install. Both the laptop and PC keep failing and no matter what I do I cannot get it to install.

Searching this and other forums have offered suggestions and I have tried them all again to no avail. Please can someone assist with this. Like others are saying I think the problem is with UR3 update and this is possibly what caused my server to stop working and hence the reinstall.

My WHS logs should anyone wish to view them.

Help me Obi Wan Kanobi you're my only hope... :-)

Thanks

John

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:21 PM

Answers

• Managed to get another copy of the KB27505129-amd64.msp file and replaced the version on the server then reinstalled after deleting the Client Download folder in my clients PC's windows\temp folder.

All sorted with UR3 working.

Still cannot explain why this file was corrupt in the first place and also why it was also corrupt after a format and reinstall of my WHS :-s

John

• Marked as answer by WeeHappyPixie Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:38 PM

All replies

• I would try emptying the temp files from your client machine profile as well as the C:\windows\temp. I am no guru but the logs are showing problems with what the install thinks is a corrupt file.

Hopefully, if it is a corrupt file, it is only on the client not corrupt as a part of the UR3 install.

Never having has to do it, in fact do not know if its possible and cannot check at present, remove UR3 from the server, reboot and try installing the previous connector. If that succeeds redownload and re install UR3.

Just trying to give you some idea's to try.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:54 PM
  • First of all thanks Dave for your suggestion.

I have spent many hours going through this and have came to the conclusion that the fault is with the "KB2705129-amd64.msp" file that is dated 06/07/2012 23:11 and is 4,501,504 bytes in size. It's MD5 checksum is d63649ef902c29bb8358fc36804aa7af. Inside this file is a cab file called "PCW_CAB_Patch1.cab" and this cab files contains all the files needed for the client. The cab seems to be corrupt and will not unpack correctly. This KB file was located in the C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\Client\Package\en\x64 folder on the WHS 2011.

Can Microsoft check this KB and issue a new release 2 version that is not corrupt and I am sure that it will help off of us with connector problems.

John.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Have you tried removing UR3 (that KB is the one announcing UR3), then letting Windows Updates reinstall it? If the client side updates for UR3 included a corrupt file, there would have been many complaints immediately after it's release.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Managed to get another copy of the KB27505129-amd64.msp file and replaced the version on the server then reinstalled after deleting the Client Download folder in my clients PC's windows\temp folder.

All sorted with UR3 working.

Still cannot explain why this file was corrupt in the first place and also why it was also corrupt after a format and reinstall of my WHS :-s

John

• Marked as answer by WeeHappyPixie Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:38 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:38 PM
  • Hi John

I am facing the same problem...

Where did you download a working  copy of KB27505129-amd64.msp as you mentioned?

Might be that this is also a solution for my problem...

Linus 

Monday, October 15, 2012 4:53 PM