Transfer office enterprise to a new compter system RRS feed

• Question

• I wish to transfer Office enterprise from an XP system to a windows 7 system. I have the original CD, I have the product ID supplied by the working XP version, but I do not have the alpha-numeric code requested when  you initially install Microsoft applications. How do I proceed?
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 4:16 PM

Answers

• What you are missing is the product key.  That is the license.  Without it you cannot use the software.  You can recover the PK from the running XP computer by using KeyFinder (Magical Jellybean Software) or BelArc Advisor.

The Product ID does you no good. It is unique to a specific computer set up. When you install Office on your Windows 7 the installer will create a new PID. 

In any case, if you are not still affiliated with the enterprise that supplied you the copy of Office then Office Enterprise is not valid for your use.  If you are still affiliated, contact your IT department for a new product key if you need one.  Office Enterprise is a volume license version used by organizations and not consumers.

Unless you need Outlook I suggest that you purchase Office 2010 Home and Student.  It is $150 or less and provides three licenses.  If you need Outlook, use Office Home and Business for $280 (but only one license for desktop and one for mobile).  Other Office Suites are more expensive.  A reasonable alternative for Outlook is Windows Live Mail.  Outlook Express is not support in Windows 7.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 4:30 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• What you are missing is the product key.  That is the license.  Without it you cannot use the software.  You can recover the PK from the running XP computer by using KeyFinder (Magical Jellybean Software) or BelArc Advisor.

The Product ID does you no good. It is unique to a specific computer set up. When you install Office on your Windows 7 the installer will create a new PID. 

In any case, if you are not still affiliated with the enterprise that supplied you the copy of Office then Office Enterprise is not valid for your use.  If you are still affiliated, contact your IT department for a new product key if you need one.  Office Enterprise is a volume license version used by organizations and not consumers.

Unless you need Outlook I suggest that you purchase Office 2010 Home and Student.  It is $150 or less and provides three licenses.  If you need Outlook, use Office Home and Business for $280 (but only one license for desktop and one for mobile).  Other Office Suites are more expensive.  A reasonable alternative for Outlook is Windows Live Mail.  Outlook Express is not support in Windows 7.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 4:30 PM
    Answerer
  • I am the enterprise that purchased the copy Office Enterprise, that is why I have the original CD. I purchased Office at the same time I purchased VISTA, which was so bad I removed it from all my office computers, I have lost the product key for both.

Thanks for the suggestion of purchasing outlook for $280 but I would rather move to "OPEN OFFICE" and "EVOLUTION" the functionality is comparable but the price difference more than makes up for the difference.

Sunday, June 5, 2011 5:54 PM