none
Getting DataTip text dialog box pops up and my debugging session dies

Question

• I'm having the exact same issues that this thread has already covered:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/8653d0d1-c7ed-4194-8fdc-f183d4ff4ec2/problems-with-debugging-in-vs-2015-when-execution-is-in-a-thread?forum=vsdebug

Basically what it boils down to is that if I have a breakpoint in my code and I hit that break point and I wait more than a second or so to get intellisense on an object, I get a dialog box that pops up and says "Getting DataTip text". Then, on my Windows 10 machine, sometimes I get a popup that says "Microsoft Visual Studio is busy working on an internal operation". This lasts for 5-10 seconds, then the windows go away. Voila - I have intellisense, but the second I press F5 to continue, F10, or F11 the thread appears to die with absolutely no trace of it and I have to stop debugging and restart. 

This same thing also happens if I don't hit a break point, but I step away from debugging for a minute or so by doing something like visiting MSDN. 

I am running Visual Studio Enterprise 2015, Update 3 using a Windows 10 machine.

• I have tried restarting the machine many times.
    • I have tried doing the repair operation two or three times on Visual Studio.
    • Initially I was on update 2, so I tried updating to Visual Studio Update 3.
    • I tried going to my Source Control Explorer >> Advanced >> Get Specific Version >> Overwrite all files even if the local version matches the specified version.
    • I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Visual Studio (twice). 
    • I've tried clearing out Visual Studio Cache

I was running fine for months with all of the same settings and nothing changing, then about a week ago this started.

As per the other post that I linked above, it has already been deduced that it's not a machine issue. I'm out of options on what to try next, is there a fix for this?

**Update** 

After really playing around with some stuff I went to 

• Source Control Explorer >> Advanced >> Get Specific Version >> Overwrite all files even if the local version matches the specified version

Then I hit a break point, waited for the "Getting DataTip text..." dialog box to come up. I then tried dragging the little yellow arrow down to a new point in the method. I got an error that said "Unable to set the next statement. This thread has called into a function that cannot be displayed". Then I pushed F5. I got a null reference exception, and it said something in my app_web_*.dll was null.

After some googling around I saw something about going to:

• Tools >> Import and Export Settings

I reset all of my settings to default settings. 

I also changed from a WiFi connection to a hard wired connection.

-Thanks,

Max

• Edited by maxshuty Friday, July 15, 2016 5:16 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 1:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Max,

>>"Unable to set the next statement. This thread has called into a function that cannot be displayed".

If you disable the option "Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> General -> Enable property evaluation and other implicit function calls", how about the result?

>>Microsoft Visual Studio is busy working on an internal operation.

>>I tried going to my Source Control Explorer >> Advanced >> Get Specific Version >> Overwrite all files even if the local version matches the specified version.

It seems that you use the source control tool like the TFS or others in your VS IDE, are you connected to one source control server that may not be responding?

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:37 AM
  • Hi Jack,

If I disable the "Enable Property Evaluation and other implicit function calls" it  works, however, this is not a good solution because suddenly Visual Studio and all of it's greatness becomes... not so great. So hopefully that helps in the sense that the issue lies somewhere within that area, but I don't think it is a solution to have to disable that and lose all of that functionality.

I do use TFS, however I'm on a team of four developers and I'm the only one with the issue, (I've also tried going from WiFi to a hard-wired connection to assure that I wasn't in a poor signal area or something).

I appreciate the reply, and I'm hoping that a resolution can be found for myself and the other folks that are having the issue as I am. 

-Regards,

Max

• Edited by maxshuty Tuesday, July 19, 2016 4:11 PM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:59 PM
  • Update 2: 

I've noticed that sometimes I will be changing some HTML in a View (just a simple MVC application), and when I do a "Save All" then press F5 to refresh the page (while debugging), my changes don't show up. 

For example, if I have something like:

<h5>Welcome!</h5>

I then change it to:

<div>Something totally different</div>

When I do a "Save All" in Visual Studio then in the same debugging session I go refresh the page it will still show up as the <h5>Welcome!</h5> without recognizing any changes at all. Then when I shut down that session and restart it immediately shows up correct as <div>Something totally different</div>

• Edited by maxshuty Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Update 3:

I ran TFS Scorch to ensure everything on disk matches source control. That did not fix the issue.

I disabled Intellitrace, also did not fix the issue.

On Monday I will be wiping out this computer and reinstalling everything. I believe some Visual Studio file is corrupt somewhere on the machine, and it's something that must stick around when uninstalling/reinstalling Visual Studio.

Friday, July 22, 2016 1:04 PM
  • Hi maxshuty,

What about this issue now?

Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, July 25, 2016 12:14 PM
  • It is still the same. If I can't get it fixed by 3PM today I'm getting the computer wiped out and I hope that will fix it.
    Monday, July 25, 2016 12:42 PM
  • Hi maxshuty,

Actually it is hard for us to make sure that whether it is related to the VS setup or the windows or others.

If possible, I suggest you share me a simple sample before you re-install the windows or others, I will debug it in my side using the same Environment as yours. At least, we could know that whether it is related to the VS IDE.

Please attach your Visual Studio project, you can upload it to the one drive, and then share the download link in your post. Please also attach a screenshot image about your VS version information in your post.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 6:45 AM
  • This bug still exists today in VS 2015 and VS 2017.  Microsoft claimed the fixed it with an update but the majority of users still have the same problem.

Microsoft just keeps closing all the support tickets as either "fixed" or "won't fix" ... it's incredibly frustrating as it makes using VS rather pathetic, so much so that we're probably going back to VS 2013 so we can get work done, that's how bad this problem is and wide spread this problem is.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/169689/the-debugger-cannot-continue-running-the-process-o.html

and

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/174078/getting-datatip-text-debugger-crash.html

and ... this issue pops up everywhere and is affecting just about everyone that does serious development work.  But Microsoft's response is shameful.  Can't believe we pay for this abuse from Microsoft.

Rob.

Friday, August 3, 2018 6:55 PM
  • Hello,

Today i got the same issue.

I couldn't able to debug after setting the break point. Even with F5 / F10, doesn't make any step forward. I tried in both 2015 and 2017. no luck.

I tried all the suggestions given above - no luck.

Anyone who has similar issue resolved it? Please do share, thanks in advance.

-Vinodh

Monday, December 10, 2018 7:22 PM
  • Hi Vinodh,

I was able to resolve the issue by doing the following:

1.  cmd (Run As Admin), in cmd windows run SFC /SCANNOW (may need to run this a few times), reboot once all is reported fixed.

2.  Bring up VS without any projects loaded, select Tools | Import and Export Settings Wizard | Reset all Settings ... then you'll be prompted to select a "prefered" language/dev template (i.e. C, VB, Web), select the template you want or had before.  Exit VS, reboot, load VS and your project. 

This worked for me, no more Data Context issues.

Cheers, Rob.

Monday, December 10, 2018 7:33 PM