file corruption on NAS drive RRS feed

• Question

• I'm experiencng fiel corruption (mostly on jpg files) when using SyncToy 2.0 to copy from Windows XP to a NAS (SMB) attached drive.  Is this  a known bug?  Is there a patch available?
    Thanks!
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:39 PM

Answers

• Hi -

Yes we have found a problem when sync'ing files to a NAS drive. We will be fixing this in our future release. For now unfortunately there is no workaround this problem.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:51 PM

All replies

• I am having similar problems using sync toy to a network drive.  Lot of jpg files are corrupted (stripes on it, color changes) after using sync toy 2.0.  Problem with XP computer, similar problems with a VISTA computer.  The only solution I know is not using Sync Toy, but using the XCOPY command. 

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:36 PM
  • I have this problem as well, which I only found out when I tried to restore some files...  VERY annoying.  I have corrupt music files as well as pictures.

I have a Freecom Network drive wired to a wireless router, and all three laptops (XP and Vista) that have had the same file corruption were used wirelessly _except_ that the original synchronizations were done wired to the router for speed.

I don't know if the corruption happened on that initial sync, or whether it happened later when done wirelessly, but it makes SyncToy more dangerous than useless and I'm really disappointed.

It would be great to hear that Microsoft have found a solution to this, as it could be a really useful tool.

Looking forward to hearing something about it!!!

P.S. Just added a warning to the subject in the hopes it will catch people's eyes, as it occured to me there may be loads of people out there who don't know their files are corrupted - check your backups asap if you're using a network drive.  I only have the problem with a few songs/pictures but that's enough to be worried!

Friday, January 30, 2009 4:48 PM
  • This is also discussed on the following thread
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/thread/b1855c8a-696d-4079-9b69-701dd725e451

I just posted this info there
    (sorry for duplication - useful if a moderator , or someone, could cobine the threads)

Hi,  Just to report that I am getting this too.

Version 2.0.100.0 and this is the first time I have ever used and installed SyncToy ie no Beta versions ever installed here.

I have as the left folder C:\DigitalCamera and the right is G:\Digicam-backup    - the G: drive being a mapped drive to a folder on my ethernet connected  NAS (Freecom) storage device.      The C: drive is on my Windows Home Premium laptop.  All kit is fairly new (ie less than 6 months old and working perfectly in every other way). 

If I copy the same folder manually via windows explorer there are no errors.   Photos sync'd with Synctoy show visible corruption ie picture is split into five horizontal segments  from top to bottom , each of similar height.  Strips 1,3 and 5 are as they should be but strips 2 and 4 are offset by about a quarter of the width of the photo and the rest is wrapped around   - looks a bit like those kids puzzles where you can change the top, middle and bottom of pictures with different images .  If it helps I can post an example here.

I can, in theory, look at all pictures and manually fix all bad ones (the originals are ok - ie in the c: folder but it would take many hours) but what about other data / document files how are these being corrupted?

Thanks in advance

Saturday, February 14, 2009 10:05 PM
  • I have exactly this same problem on my new installation of SyncToy 2.0.100.0 with Windows XP Professional: JPG file corruption on my external Freecom network drive. I only found this out when I took the network drive on holiday and plugged it in to a laptop to show photos to a group of friends.  Hundreds of jpgs were corrupted with multiple stripes and large grey blocks blotting out the image.  I got a big shock and after trying lots of variations I eventually reformated the whole drive, started again from scratch - and recreated exactly the same problem on a fresh drive.  Having created the corrupt jpg files in the right folder, SyncToy 2.0 was unable to distinguish any differences between the good files in the left folder and the bad ones in the right folder, even with the "check file contents" option selected. The file sizes were in each case identical but the back up copies were unusable.

SyncToy 2.0 is unusable for jpg files on network drives until this problem is fixed!

Many thanks for a fix!

P.S. As above, this is also discussed on the following thread
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synctoy/thread/b1855c8a-696d-4079-9b69-701dd725e451

I will post this info there too, as said above, sorry for duplication - useful if a moderator , or someone, could combine the threads

Monday, March 9, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Hi -

Yes we have found a problem when sync'ing files to a NAS drive. We will be fixing this in our future release. For now unfortunately there is no workaround this problem.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Does this impact sync'ing with another PC?  Isn't a NAS drive just a barebones PC with drives and networking capabilities?  If so, it would stand to reason that this could occur on PC-to-PC sync as well.  Unless, are NAS's only affected because they (typically) run Linux?
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Any thoughts?  I would like to use SyncToy to backup files from one Vista PC to another; will this bug be exposed when the right-side drive is a drive located on another Vista machine on the network?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Hi -

So far we have only seen this problem reported on NAS drives. No one has indicated ( and we tested this internally) any problem syncing to a drive on anothe box.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:48 PM
  •  Is this a Synctoy problem or a Sync Framework problem?  I want to uninstall Synctoy 2.0 and reinstall Synctoy 1.4.  Will this work?  I do not want to hace to check every .jpg to see if there is any corruption under the reinstall of 1.4.

BTW, this is a great tool!  I hope microsoft will give this issue some priority because I really need the functionality.  NAS devices are becoming more ubiquitous.

Thanx

Possum
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Hi - are you anywhere nearer a solution to this problem?  This is a really useful tool that is currently unuseable now my file are NAS stored rather than just an external drive.

Cheers
    S
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:16 PM
  • S

From what I read in another reply from Microsoft, there is a solution already but it can't be released until later in the year.

I am trying a tool called SyncBackSE (you can google for it) - since this is to do something that SyncToy can't (work with NAS) I assume Microsoft won't mind me publishing the name here, it's not like they're in competition!  You have to pay for it, but if the free stuff doesn't work...

Frankly I'm really disgusted that Microsoft don't post a warning about using NAS to people downloading SyncToy2.0 on the download website - it wouldn't take much for someone to lose all their photographs, particularily as this is targeted at photographers!  Certainly leaves a bad taste in the mouth to see a big company being too proud to admit something doesn't work, and definitely makes the case for not using freeware where data integrity is concerned.

This could make for some really bad PR if the contents of this forum were spotted by a tech journalist.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:13 PM
  • jcswright,

I am sorry that you have had so much frustration with this.  Although it may not seem like it, we have tried to get the word out as much as possible about this issue and in fact we even made it a top level annoucement in this forum under the heading "Important NAS and SyncToy 2.0 Information".  Your idea about posting this on the download center is a good idea and we will look into this, but I would actually argue that this will not completely solve the communication challenge since many sites simply link directly to the download link, in which case these people would miss the message (that is assuming that people in fact read the contents of the download center in the first place).

Like Deepa mentioned, we have this fixed, but since the next release of SyncToy is based on Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 which is not due until later in the year and the fact that the end-user license agreements within the Microsoft Sync Framework does not allow SyncToy to release a product based on it until it is officially released we have to wait a little bit more.  I realize that this must be very inconvenient and frustrating for users like yourself but unfortunately there is not much we can do about releasing this update now.  However, please know that we will aim to get this update out as soon as possible after Sync Framework 2.0 is available.

Liam
    Program Manager, Data Replication and Synchronization - http://msdn.microsoft.com/sync/
    Friday, June 26, 2009 9:52 PM
  • jcswright, I took your suggestion and updated the download center page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en

Liam
    Program Manager, Data Replication and Synchronization - http://msdn.microsoft.com/sync/
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Liam, does 1.4 have the same NAS problem?
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Hi -

We have not had anyone report a problem on SyncToy 1.4 so the problem might not exist. However we have not tested this in-house. If you decide to use SyncToy 1.4 - please test it before you use it.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:33 PM
  • So.... what's the verdict?

1) Do I use version 2.0 final?

2) Or should I go back to version 1.4?

3) Or should I wait for the "soon to come" version 3.0?

There is sooooo much confusion on the net about this single NAS file corruption issue.
    Why not issue crystal clear guidance to help others avoid any risk/anxiety???

Thanks
    -s
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Is the NAS problem specifically restricted to SyncToy? Or is it an underlying problem with Sync Services for File System or the Microsoft Sync Framework ?

I'm considering starting my own Sync project based on this tech (like here) , but don't want to run into the same problems.

Thanks!
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:53 PM
  • I have been using 1.4 and have not discovered any file corruptions. I restored the hard drive on this computer however and when I went online to download 1.4 only to discover it was unavailable. I use a 1tb NAS that has about 250gb of photos that I have kept it in sync w/ my 2nd SATA drive for backup. If there is an issue w/2.0 (and thank you, thank you for posting that information) why isn't 1.4 still available to download? Unfortunately, I usually choose open when installing downloads and thus don't retain original files.

Thank you
    dubl07
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Hi -

Liam has updated the note at the beginning of the forum listing to say that we are recommending that you not use SyncToy with NAS across the board in any configuration.

richara - The problem is with the Sync Services for File System so any application you write with the current V 1.0 will run into the same problem. You will need to wait for 2.0 .

Thanks
    Deepa
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Deepa:  Do you have an estimate as to when Sync Services v2 will be released?  Also, once v2 becomes available, will the new version of SyncToy with Sync Services v2 be immediately (within a few days), or will it take more time?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:03 AM
  • I am wondering this as well. Last I heard was March of this year but obviously we are well past that now.

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Hi -

The Sync Framework MSF V2 is scehduled to release sometime before the end of this year. We will try to get SyncToy 2.1 as soon as we can after that but currently we do not have a specific date to share.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Thanks for the update Deepa.  We look forward to the new version.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:29 AM