Debugging a driver problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am having what appears to be a driver problem on WHS that is causing the machine to crash.  Windows is saying that it is a drive problem, but I have no idea which driver is causing the issue.  I've looked at the event logs and haven't seen anything obvious.  How can I dig deeper? 
    Friday, September 26, 2008 1:43 AM

Answers

• dwelzel said:

I am having what appears to be a driver problem on WHS that is causing the machine to crash.  Windows is saying that it is a drive problem, but I have no idea which driver is causing the issue.  I've looked at the event logs and haven't seen anything obvious.  How can I dig deeper? 

What exactly is the error message saying?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each hard drive (in case it is a drive issue)?
    Friday, September 26, 2008 1:57 AM
  • dwelzel said:

I am having what appears to be a driver problem on WHS that is causing the machine to crash.  Windows is saying that it is a drive problem, but I have no idea which driver is causing the issue.  I've looked at the event logs and haven't seen anything obvious.  How can I dig deeper? 

What is the exact error message?

Just to be clear, this is a driver problem and not a drive problem?

There should be a dump file in %windir% i.e. C:\windows. Once you've located the file, let me know.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, September 26, 2008 3:29 AM

All replies

• dwelzel said:

What exactly is the error message saying?  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each hard drive (in case it is a drive issue)?
    Friday, September 26, 2008 1:57 AM
  • dwelzel said:

What is the exact error message?

Just to be clear, this is a driver problem and not a drive problem?

There should be a dump file in %windir% i.e. C:\windows. Once you've located the file, let me know.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, September 26, 2008 3:29 AM