WHS evaluation period is ending - how do I install licensed version? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an eval version of WHS with powerpack 2.  I have automatic updates enabled so it has all the latest updates installed.  In the last week or so I started having network critical errors that appear to be data drive related that I have not been able to resolve.  The data storage consists of 2.5 TB of disk space (2 x 1TB SATA drives and 1 x 500GB PCI).  I tried replacing the SATA controller (both the drives that are being reported as "unhealthy" are connected to the SATA controller.  Then I tried replacing the power supply (was 250 watt original equip, replaced with 700 watt).  Still get same problems with data drives.

Now I am starting to get the message that I need to upgrade to the licensed version (which I have on a bootable DVD), but I am not sure if the install process will wipe out my existing accounts and data.  Can someone please advise me?  Will I have to start all over?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:30 PM

Answers

• I have an eval version of WHS with powerpack 2.  I have automatic updates enabled so it has all the latest updates installed.  In the last week or so I started having network critical errors that appear to be data drive related that I have not been able to resolve.  The data storage consists of 2.5 TB of disk space (2 x 1TB SATA drives and 1 x 500GB PCI).  I tried replacing the SATA controller (both the drives that are being reported as "unhealthy" are connected to the SATA controller.  Then I tried replacing the power supply (was 250 watt original equip, replaced with 700 watt).  Still get same problems with data drives.

Now I am starting to get the message that I need to upgrade to the licensed version (which I have on a bootable DVD), but I am not sure if the install process will wipe out my existing accounts and data.  Can someone please advise me?  Will I have to start all over?

Please see this FAQ. You will have to perform a server recovery/reinstallation. You will not lose the data in the storage pool.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by GeneWald Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:20 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Lara has pointed you to instructions for upgrading. Before you do so, however, I think you would be well advised to check all the drives in your server for errors, given that you say you're experiencing errors related to your drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:24 PM

All replies

Please see this FAQ. You will have to perform a server recovery/reinstallation. You will not lose the data in the storage pool.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Lara has pointed you to instructions for upgrading. Before you do so, however, I think you would be well advised to check all the drives in your server for errors, given that you say you're experiencing errors related to your drives.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 29, 2009 4:24 PM