Avoid checkin and checkout RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am working on Project server 2010 (PWA). When i edit my project records, it got checked out and any other user cannot edit until checkedin.

Is there any way to avoid checkin and checkout. So that i can directly write and it got saved and same can be done by other users. I want to Avoid locking of project when one user is working.

Regards,

Kamal Pundir

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Kamal,

Unfortunately co-authoring is not possible with project plans in Project Server, to edit a project plan it will always be checked out to that one user only. Other users can only open the project Read-only until the first user checks the project plan back in.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Kamal,

Unfortunately co-authoring is not possible with project plans in Project Server, to edit a project plan it will always be checked out to that one user only. Other users can only open the project Read-only until the first user checks the project plan back in.

Thanks

Paul

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Thanks Paul,

That means two users can not work simultaneously over different items/tasks of same project?  How do applications built on project server work then?  I

f resource(e.g. user 1) responsible to complete the task/item/package (but not entire schedule) wants to update the status to "Complete" but another resource is editing status at the same time, then the user1 will have to wait till the scheduler is checked back in?  In that case he will have to keep trying to find out if the schedule is checked in or out.

Please help.

Regards,

Kamal Pundir

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Hi Kamal,

Usually, resources will complete their time in PWA (Tasks page) and submit this time to the Project Manager to approve into the project plan. Multiple resources can update the Task status (for tasks they are assigned to on the project) at the same time for the same project plan in the PWA tasks page. They then submit the time for approval to the Project Manager via PWA without using Project Professional. The Project Manager can then accept the updates into the Project Plan and make further changes if required using Project Professional. Usually resources assigned to tasks in the project plan do not have / need access to open the project using Project Professional.

Does that help?

Thanks

Paul

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:16 PM
  • You mentioned that multiple resources can update the task status (for tasks they are assigned to on the project).  But I am unable to get this working.  When I go through Project centre and select my project, and then try to edit the schedule in PWA, the entire schedule gets checked out to me and no one else can edit it.

If I go to My Tasks section, I do not see the tasks assigned to me, its doesn't show any records.

Please help.

Regards,

Kamalp

Friday, August 19, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Hi Kamal,

They can but not in the project plan, they can report / update time on the task.aspx page... If you are assigned to a task/s and you are the assignment owner (insert the assignment owner column in the project to check) and the project has been published you will see the tasks in your tasks page.

Thanks

Paul

Friday, August 19, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Thanks Paul.

I double checked, even if the task is assigned to me (I am in resource name column as there is no Assigned To column) and I am the assignment owner and the project is published, I cannot see the task in tasks page (tasks.aspx). Tasks page (Under My Work category on left) never has any records in it.  Its the same for other peeople I added to the project. 

And also once the first person selects "Edit in Project Web App" option for schedule (since I do not see any tasks in tasks.aspx), the entire schedule gets checked out to him.  That person can edit and save changes.  Once he publishes the project, others can view the changes.  BUT the project is still checked out to him even after he has published it.  So no one can edit it in future, unless he goes and checks it back in.

Not sure how to get this going. :(

Please help.

Thanks

Kamal

Friday, August 19, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Hi Kamal,

Insert the Assignment Owner column in the view in Project Pro 2010 and confirm that the name here matches the name in the Resource Name column. If the enterprise resource names match (Resource Name and Assignment Owner), and the project is published successfully (check the queue history - PWA - Server Settings - Manage Queue) then the tasks will appear in the Tasks page for that user/ resource.

The functionality you describe with Edit in Project Web App is as expected, the project is checked out to edit and is not editable to other users until this is checked in.

Thanks

Paul

Friday, August 19, 2011 12:38 PM