How to recover after messing up Windows key RRS feed

• Question

• Windows XP Pro on my 6-year-old thinkpad died (got c00000135 BSOD saying unable to find winsrv), and I attempted to repair my windows installation.
    The computer didn't come with a Windows XP installation disk (I think the files are in a partition on the computer somewhere, which won't boot...).

To get the system running again, I found a bootleg XP installation CD and successfully repaired the software.  I didn't realize that a repair would prompt for an installation key.  It wouldn't take the one written on the label on the computer.  I used the one which came with.  Now I have a working computer and can ask you these questions, but my computer (of course?) fails WGA validation.

How can I stop being a victim of software counterfeiting and get the valid version of Windows XP working?

MGADiag says:
    Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-FP247-8CGC8-HW4RG
    Windows Product Key Hash: +a2h6a68qvSu+Zw/+Ny4dSTAXb4=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-641-2513021-23136
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {2A6B78CB-9D82-470B-BC99-752B7E2E2F11}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.8.31.9
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2A6B78CB-9D82-470B-BC99-752B7E2E2F11}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HW4RG</PKey><PID>55274-641-2513021-23136</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1482476501-688789844-854245398</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Model>23739FU</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Version>1RETDOWW (3.20 )</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="33"/><Date>20060227000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>C5EB3B07018400EC</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.8.31.9"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.8.31.9"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>AEEC97AFE4FE500</Val><Hash>7WxJhZmCdp8ZrgiqNY/lvo1J8gI=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0136666-57421</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 14240:IBM|142FB:Lenovo
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Monday, April 27, 2009 3:57 AM

Answers

• Try using the Windows Product Key Update Tool:
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, April 27, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Good Morning Bob,

Thank you Bob for visiting the WGA Forum. You had a question, "How can I stop being a victim of software counterfeiting and get the valid version of Windows XP working?" The best option @ this point is contacting Lenovo/IBM and request them to send you a Recovery Media Disc for the particular model system you own. You mentioned, "I found a bootleg XP installation CD and successfully repaired the software." Under NO circumstances should someone try to use  ISO images for software from a P2P file sharing site or use a second-hand burned copies of software. Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine. It appears you used the product key from the Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker along with the key update tool to become genuine. Still though I would either purchase the WGA Kit offered to you @ the time you failed validation or contact Lenovo/IBM to get an original disc. Next I would back up all of your files and perform a complete reinstallation because you can not be sure of the integerity of the existing windows installation.

The MGA Diagnostic results indicated the product key "FP247-8CGC8-HW4RG" used to install Windows XP Professional was not assigned by Microsoft. The Product Key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a Product Key generator. The Product Key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).   You will find numerous sites where this Product Key has been posted.  Use your favorite search engine and paste in the Product Key.     

Take care and hopefully I have been able to provide you with more insight.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, April 27, 2009 5:10 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Hey Bob,

I am not sure as how the licensing arrangements work between the OEMs and Microsoft. This falls outside our expertise as well as the support scope for the WGA Forums. There may be a possibility to perform a XP Repair Installation using the OEM SLP disk provided by the manufacturer. Bob when you call technical support and order the OEM SLP disk ask them these questions :-) vs. taking the information you read on various sites this can't work. They may be able to provide you with steps for performing these tasks. Also I would like for you to visit “Discussions in Windows XP Newsgroups” here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

This forum is geared for providing answers outside the WGA support scope. Also you can visit http://support.microsoft.com .  Here you can find various information from Microsoft Knowledge Based (KB) articles. Also you may want to make emergency repair disks for your windows. Hopefully this will provide you with more direction should you need this in the future Bob.

Take care and again thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, April 27, 2009 10:24 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 10:23 PM

All replies

• Try using the Windows Product Key Update Tool:
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, April 27, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Thanks, worked like a charm.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Good Morning Bob,

Thank you Bob for visiting the WGA Forum. You had a question, "How can I stop being a victim of software counterfeiting and get the valid version of Windows XP working?" The best option @ this point is contacting Lenovo/IBM and request them to send you a Recovery Media Disc for the particular model system you own. You mentioned, "I found a bootleg XP installation CD and successfully repaired the software." Under NO circumstances should someone try to use  ISO images for software from a P2P file sharing site or use a second-hand burned copies of software. Research has shown that about half of the software copies available on P2P download sites are infected with root kits, spyware, Trojans, and other potentially harmful malware. One file in particular was very alarming.  This file was an administrator account giving the attacker full control over both your system and data.  I would be very concerned about your system integrity because Windows is non-genuine. It appears you used the product key from the Certificate of Authenticity "COA" sticker along with the key update tool to become genuine. Still though I would either purchase the WGA Kit offered to you @ the time you failed validation or contact Lenovo/IBM to get an original disc. Next I would back up all of your files and perform a complete reinstallation because you can not be sure of the integerity of the existing windows installation.

The MGA Diagnostic results indicated the product key "FP247-8CGC8-HW4RG" used to install Windows XP Professional was not assigned by Microsoft. The Product Key is counterfeit and was most likely generated by a Product Key generator. The Product Key found on your computer has been detected on multiple computers. Product keys are only allowed to be used on one computer unless otherwise specified in the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).   You will find numerous sites where this Product Key has been posted.  Use your favorite search engine and paste in the Product Key.     

Take care and hopefully I have been able to provide you with more insight.

Thank you,

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, April 27, 2009 5:10 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Thanks, Stephen, that was helpful.

According to what I've been able to find, the original distribution disk only allows you to re-image the initial installation, not to do a repair.
    It would be useful if there were a tool available to repair unbootable installations which didn't require (what appeared to be) essentially re-installing the Windows component.  I'm not up to designing one, though, despite more than 45 years working with computers.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:58 PM
  • Hey Bob,

I am not sure as how the licensing arrangements work between the OEMs and Microsoft. This falls outside our expertise as well as the support scope for the WGA Forums. There may be a possibility to perform a XP Repair Installation using the OEM SLP disk provided by the manufacturer. Bob when you call technical support and order the OEM SLP disk ask them these questions :-) vs. taking the information you read on various sites this can't work. They may be able to provide you with steps for performing these tasks. Also I would like for you to visit “Discussions in Windows XP Newsgroups” here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

This forum is geared for providing answers outside the WGA support scope. Also you can visit http://support.microsoft.com .  Here you can find various information from Microsoft Knowledge Based (KB) articles. Also you may want to make emergency repair disks for your windows. Hopefully this will provide you with more direction should you need this in the future Bob.

Take care and again thank you,

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, April 27, 2009 10:24 PM
    Monday, April 27, 2009 10:23 PM