Moving microsoft programs from one tablet to another RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old HP TC1100 tablet and recently got an Asus ep121 (love it!) to replace it.  The problem is that my HP has full, licensed copies of Windows 7 Ultimate and the Office Professional 2007 suite, but I have no idea how to move these over to another computer.

Here are a few complications:

1) Both Win7 and Office were obtained through my college as downloads; I have the license keys for both, but no disks.

2) Neither the HP nor Asus have optical drives and I don't have an external drive.  Both machines have USB ports aplenty and Wifi though (duh).

3) The Asus is currently running Win7 Home Premium; I purchased the HP used with a completely wiped HDD, I installed the Win7 OS and drivers from scratch.

4) The HP is a 32 bit system running on a Centrino processor while the Asus is a 64 bit system with a gen-2 Core i5 (it FLIES in comparison :D ).  I don't know if that makes a difference for Office, but I know that my copy of Win7 is a 32 bit one.  I would hate to use a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine. . .

Any and all suggestions- especially from you MS types would be much appreciated!!!!

Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:59 AM

Answers

• It depends on the academic program.  I believe that Academic Alliance (MSDNAA) licenses are one-time keys and cannot be reinstalled or transferred.  You will have to find out if the academic copies are from a program that allows moving the software.  I doubt it. 

You would have to obtain a 64bit copy of Windows from the academic source or purchase an Anytime Upgrade for the copy on the Asus yourself.  Anytime Upgrade would be very easy to deal with on a netbook.  Unless you need multiple languages I suggest that you do not spend the extra money and just upgrade to Professional.  Pro is scheduled for Microsoft support through 2020 and Ultimate is not (2015).

Microsoft no longer sells Office 2007 otherwise you could download a trial copy of Office 2007 and try to use the product key you have.  My recommendation is that you purchase Office Home and Business from the Microsoft Store so you can download it.  If you can use Windows Live Mail instead of Outlook you might get along nicely with Home and Student. 

Read the sticky about installing Windows with a usb thumb drive on

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_install-windows_7?page=1&tab=all

The Microsoft Store has instructions and software for doing this.

32bit Windows and Office run natively on 64bit processors.  Office is 32bits only but runs equally well natively on 32bit or 64bit Windows.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:32 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:14 AM
    Answerer
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:07 PM

All replies

• It depends on the academic program.  I believe that Academic Alliance (MSDNAA) licenses are one-time keys and cannot be reinstalled or transferred.  You will have to find out if the academic copies are from a program that allows moving the software.  I doubt it. 

You would have to obtain a 64bit copy of Windows from the academic source or purchase an Anytime Upgrade for the copy on the Asus yourself.  Anytime Upgrade would be very easy to deal with on a netbook.  Unless you need multiple languages I suggest that you do not spend the extra money and just upgrade to Professional.  Pro is scheduled for Microsoft support through 2020 and Ultimate is not (2015).

Microsoft no longer sells Office 2007 otherwise you could download a trial copy of Office 2007 and try to use the product key you have.  My recommendation is that you purchase Office Home and Business from the Microsoft Store so you can download it.  If you can use Windows Live Mail instead of Outlook you might get along nicely with Home and Student. 

Read the sticky about installing Windows with a usb thumb drive on

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_install-windows_7?page=1&tab=all

The Microsoft Store has instructions and software for doing this.

32bit Windows and Office run natively on 64bit processors.  Office is 32bits only but runs equally well natively on 32bit or 64bit Windows.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:14 AM
    Answerer
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:07 PM