none
Do I need a Hard Drive master plan? RRS feed

• Question

• I have had my 500gb HP MediaSmart server for a few weeks now and as someone who really enjoys organization this thing has been really fun for me.  My main purpose with the drive is going to be central storage of photos, music, and home video in addtion to computer backup.  I need to add some hard drive space but want to make sure I do things correctly.  I have probably been reading too much for my own good but I have seen a few places that state that you should have the drives organized from largest to smallest.  People are even going as far as taking their orginal 500gb hard drive in their MediaSmart servers and swapping this out for a 1Tb and then putting the 500gb in slot two.  I really don't want to go to this trouble.  In reallity I would expect that most users will actually have the drives organized the other way.  Many will probably be in a similar position to me.  I have a 200gb drive laying around and will be adding this to my WHS, next I will probably buy another 500gb drive as that fits my budget now and probably in a few months when 1 Tb drives drop in price I will add one of those.  I would expect this would be common for most casual users, as prices drop larger drives are added. 

How important is hard drive placement in a WHS machine, the MediaSmart server in particular?

Mike

Saturday, January 5, 2008 1:01 PM

Answers

• Drive placement for the initial build is very important. If you have a mix of drives, some large and some small, using a small drive for the system drive will hamper normal Windows Home Server operations in many ways. But as long as you start out with a big drive, there will probably be no need to replace it unless it fails. The 500 GB drive in your server now will be fine as the system drive for quite a while.
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:22 PM

All replies

• Drive placement for the initial build is very important. If you have a mix of drives, some large and some small, using a small drive for the system drive will hamper normal Windows Home Server operations in many ways. But as long as you start out with a big drive, there will probably be no need to replace it unless it fails. The 500 GB drive in your server now will be fine as the system drive for quite a while.
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:22 PM
  • Luckily WHS makes it easy to add and remove drives.  You will likely find in a little while that you don't want to bother with a drive as small as 200GB as the room in your server is more important then that small amount of disk space. 

As an aside - it is hard to believe that 200GB is small - I remember buying a VIC-20 with a whopping 3.5kB of internal memory and no disk drive - just an audio tape drive!

Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:54 PM
  •  

I don't think it's possible to go over the top with HDDs for WHS.

I was given some SATAII HDDs in exchange for some work rendered.  Plus I already had 2 SATA drives in my Desktop PC.  But I had to buy a 500GB drive for the system, now my machine looks like this

500GB (Samsung) (Purchased New)

-

320GB Seagate 7200.10 (Gift)

320GB Seagate 7200.10 (Gift)

250GB WD (From My Desktop)

250GB WD (From My Desktop)

160GB Seagate 7200.10 (Gift)

160GB Seagate 7200.10 (Gift)

The "-" indicates a spare slot for another 500GB Drive, which I will add as funds allow.

And over the coming year, I'll keep buying 500GB drives, and move the smaller ones out (I still have some decent external connectivity available.)

I am using the Cooler Master iTower 930 case, which has 4 SATA Hot-swap bays, and also 4x iCute iSwap SATA Hot-swap bays.

Pic (click)

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 5:54 AM