none
TV Archive Fails due to unknown error RRS feed

• Question

• I have PP3 installed and use the tv archive facility to transfer recorded tv from our media pc running Win 7 to our home server. If I turn on the option to generate a compressed version of the file for use on a zune, the archive fails with an unknown error. Can anyone suggest a solution?
    Monday, July 5, 2010 9:15 AM

All replies

•  On 7/5/2010 4:15 AM, drbrady wrote:

I have PP3 installed and use the tv archive facility to transfer recorded tv from our media pc running Win 7 to our home server. If I turn on the option to generate a compressed version of the file for use on a zune, the archive fails with an unknown error. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Take a look in the Event Viewer for your client, and also you could use Remote Desktop Connection to check the Event Viewer on the server.  This will give you an error message and some information on why it failed.

Post the appropriate information from the Event Viewer here ( most likely you'll find the information on your client, so I would check there first).

Have a great day:)
    Patrick

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Monday, July 5, 2010 6:26 PM
  • ...] archive fails with an unknown error. [...

(Currently I do not have a MCE system connected to my WHS server, zo I'm doing this from memory...)

If I remember correctly you will get a more detailed description of the problem when selecting te MCE status message "failed with an unknown error".

Also: In case you have archiving configured to compress the the server's video share: double check through the WHS Console (settings->Windows Media Center) if MC Extenders have full access to the shared Video folder? Alternately on the TV Archive settings you can try setting the compress destination to you local videos folder.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, July 5, 2010 7:50 PM
  • I've checked the event logs on both the client and the server - nothing spings out (no errors in the last 24 hours). The client process must have access to the whs video folder as it sometimes succedes to archive and compress the file. The other odd thing is that he archived (not compressed) files sometimes appear in the MCE Recorded TV library with no date of recording and a duration shown of 1 minute, even though the whole file is there - it's like the file has lost its properties ... strange.

Any other ideas? Difficult without a full error message I guess.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:48 PM