Can't install Vail RRS feed

• Question

• OK, getting a bit frustrated now and can't figure this out.

I've been trying to install Vail for a week now without success.

New System:

Core i3 on a Gigabyte H57M-USB3, 4GB of 1333 Ram

1TB WD BLACK 7200rpm

2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 5400rpm

My problem is seemingly 'random' BSOD during installation as Vail is 'expanding files'.  Can happen at any point during expansion.  I initially tried installation via USB stick.  Tried multiple downloads of the InstallDVD.iso (with and without FTM - all CRC check out).  Tried WD black as install drive, then went to Samsung.  Then I burned DVDs ( some at 4x, others at 16x) and still have same problem.  The BSOD is usually stop 0x24, but I've also seen 0x01 and I think 0x07.  I set the BIOS to run SATA in IDE mode.

What else can I try?  What am I missing?

Monday, November 8, 2010 1:58 AM

All replies

• Since this is (as far as I'm aware) the first report of this kind of behavior, it might be a hardware problem on your target machine.  Can you swap out the RAM and try again?  Or barring that boot from a RAM test utility? 

Good luck,

John

Vail Server HW: Asus socket 775 mobo, E6500 dual core processor. 4 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 5400 RPM drives, 1 IDE DVD drive, 2GB RAM, latest build of Vail
    Monday, November 8, 2010 3:25 AM
  • I've been trying to install Vail for a week now without success.

Have you tried re-burning your DVD? You could have a bad burn.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Monday, November 8, 2010 4:26 AM
  • On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 04:26:11 +0000, Nancy Ward wrote:

?I've been trying to install Vail for a week now without success.
    ?
    Have you tried re-burning your DVD? You could have a bad burn.

From the original post:

" Then I burned DVDs ( some at 4x, others at 16x) and still have same
    problem."

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Monday, November 8, 2010 5:09 AM
  • Since you’ve tried both USB and more than one DVD burn to install have you tried installing another OS on this new system like Windows 7? Could be a hardware problem.

Wilkes

"jkendra" wrote in message news:8ce4acd7-6250-4e9e-8419-b4fbf083900a...

OK, getting a bit frustrated now and can't figure this out.

I've been trying to install Vail for a week now without success.

New System:

Core i3 on a Gigabyte H57M-USB3, 4GB of 1333 Ram

1TB WD BLACK 7200rpm

2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 5400rpm

My problem is seemingly 'random' BSOD during installation as Vail is 'expanding files'.  Can happen at any point during expansion.  I initially tried installation via USB stick.  Tried multiple downloads of the InstallDVD.iso (with and without FTM - all CRC check out).  Tried WD black as install drive, then went to Samsung.  Then I burned DVDs ( some at 4x, others at 16x) and still have same problem.  The BSOD is usually stop 0x24, but I've also seen 0x01 and I think 0x07.  I set the BIOS to run SATA in IDE mode.

What else can I try?  What am I missing?

Monday, November 8, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Well that was what I was thinking I'd do next, 1st test the RAM (since it is a new build), then try installing Windows 7.  I was hoping there was something glaring I was missing.  I will update with results.
    Monday, November 8, 2010 11:19 AM
  • memtest checks out ok, going to buy more ram anyway.  I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue of mine and not the fault of Vail so I'll check back when I get it figured out.
    Monday, November 8, 2010 11:38 PM