Sync framework with real time sync RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have developed sales application through the Occasionally Connected Architecture. In brief, we have a web site which is running the main system, and windows mobile devices used for day to day sales. Earlier mobile devices nightly synchronize with the system. Therefor I have used the Microsoft Sync framework for the synchronization part. But now client need this application internal area, and also asked real-time synchronization through the WI-FI network.

My question are

what is the better solution for this kind of scenario?

Is it ok to use the sync framework with scheduling background sync (every 2min)?

This is bit urgent. please let me know your ideas.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:49 AM

All replies

• if it's real-time, why not update the central server directly?

2mins sync interval on a mobile device will take toll on battery power.

you also have to account for concurrency issues with users updating rows while sync is ongoing.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:04 AM
  • HI June,

thank you for the reply. but this synchronization is two ways. 

for ex: if Administrator create a item/category/code then those should sync with mobile. and if sales person (mobile user) sell the item same time it should sync to the main database. Because, the user can collect only the items only from main office.
    Another scenario is sometimes WiFi not available. but when it is available sync should happened.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:32 AM
  • then it can't be real-time. you have to settle for an acceptable latency.

also, how do you plan on the server pushing a change to the mobile when a change happens?

in Sync Fx, you have to initiate the sync. In you scenario, it's your client that's going to initiate that and that can be bidirectional. client either pushing and retrieving changes or vice versa.

if you're mobile device is capable of push notification, then your server can push changes or notify the client when a change is available.

without that mechanism, it's going to be hard for the server to initiate a connection to your mobile device.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:43 AM
  • Yes.. It's going to be hard. client doesn't support for push notifications. That's why I try to implement the background scheduler with sync framework on windows mobile device. you are right it is not fully real time. but we have to make it real time wherever possible.
    could you please help me to do this?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:04 PM
  • you have it already running as you said. it's just timing the background process that you need to put in place.

2mins is to low IMHO. try firing a sync every 2 mins and see how far your battery goes.

i'd rather initiate sync on startup/shutdown of the app and have a button for users to explicitly invoke a sync.

• Proposed as answer by ANDROBETA Monday, April 28, 2014 8:16 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:13 PM
  • Great.. Thanks for the Idea. 
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:54 PM