Wireless Laptop Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a wireless laptop that wakes at a random time during the backup window set in WHS11.

However almost every backup is Unsuccessful, in fact I think only one completed all the way by itself.

What settings should I check for to make sure that the backup completes correctly each time it wakes up to backup?

Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:26 PM

All replies

• First try a manual backup to make sure that the laptop is able to back up successfully. If it isn't, try a manual backup using a wired connection. Let us know what happens.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:13 PM
  • First try a manual backup to make sure that the laptop is able to back up successfully. If it isn't, try a manual backup using a wired connection. Let us know what happens.

Backups work fine manually while wireless. This is what I have been doing in place of automatic backups since they fail every night currently.
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Does an automatic backup with a wired connection work?

Anyway, if the manual backup works, there's nothing wrong with your server or the connector. The next test is to change your backup window to something that will let you observe the laptop attempting an automated backup. You can do this using the dashboard. After you've changed the backup window, you will probably need to initiate a manual backup for the client to "pick up" the new window. Then let it enter sleep mode normally (or put it to sleep if you normally do that yourself), and observe it through the backup window.

Unfortunately, one common cause of a laptop failing to back up automatically on wireless is that it may take a long time for the machine to establish a network connection. If it takes long enough, it may automatically go back to sleep due to "inactivity" on wake.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Does an automatic backup with a wired connection work?

Anyway, if the manual backup works, there's nothing wrong with your server or the connector. The next test is to change your backup window to something that will let you observe the laptop attempting an automated backup. You can do this using the dashboard. After you've changed the backup window, you will probably need to initiate a manual backup for the client to "pick up" the new window. Then let it enter sleep mode normally (or put it to sleep if you normally do that yourself), and observe it through the backup window.

Unfortunately, one common cause of a laptop failing to back up automatically on wireless is that it may take a long time for the machine to establish a network connection. If it takes long enough, it may automatically go back to sleep due to "inactivity" on wake.

Ok, I will do some more testing next week to see what I can come up with.

Is there any way to force it to stay awake for a certain amount of time? The wireless connects immediately when you wake the laptop, so not sure why it would take a long time.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:54 PM