WHS PP3 Fails to Install RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to update my WHS to PP3 since the update came out last week.  Every attempt leads to the failure to install these two updates:

Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB973687)
    Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 (KB968349)

I get the window "The following updates were not installed", and then a second window "Windows Home Server Update Failed.... Windows Home Server update installation can not complete. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please restart teh server".

I have tried at least 6 times with 3 restarts without a change in the fail to install messages.

I did not have beta PP3 installed current version is 6.0.2030.2

Any help would be appreciated..

Monday, November 30, 2009 5:58 AM

Answers

• The recommended method to fix such issues (I think you already assume what comes now) is a server reinstall.

You seem to have faced an error already with an earlier upgrade for Windows Home Server, since the version number in the end was higher than .2 for at least one of the entries.
    You can try logging in locally on the server. Here check, if there is still enough free disk space on the C: drive. It may also help to take a look into the event viewer in Control Panel/Administrative Tools, if there can be found more details about the errors.
    The files WindowsUpdate.log and KB968349.log in C:\Windows could also be helpful for diagnostics.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by starbudder Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:41 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:53 AM

All replies

• The recommended method to fix such issues (I think you already assume what comes now) is a server reinstall.

You seem to have faced an error already with an earlier upgrade for Windows Home Server, since the version number in the end was higher than .2 for at least one of the entries.
    You can try logging in locally on the server. Here check, if there is still enough free disk space on the C: drive. It may also help to take a look into the event viewer in Control Panel/Administrative Tools, if there can be found more details about the errors.
    The files WindowsUpdate.log and KB968349.log in C:\Windows could also be helpful for diagnostics.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by starbudder Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:41 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:53 AM
  • To offer an alternative, I had the same error "windows home server updates installation can not complete". It turned out my WHS did not have access to the internet (despite it functioning fine as a local file server). I set the IP address to 'configure automatically' and now Power Pack 3 is installing. 

It really shouldn't be the case that basic error messages on WHS mean a Server reinstall. If that's the case the product is not satisfying the target Home Market. 

Sunday, December 6, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Thanks for the reply's, I wish it was as simple as no internet access, however was not to be.. 

It seems the failure to install the "Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB973687)" in the proper order caused the issue..  When attempting to do the "reinstall process" as per Olaf's suggestion, I was not provided the option and ended up with the time consuming process of moving all my files (movies and others) to other  drives as I did a clean new WHS system install.  Remember you need to disconnect all the drives or they will be wiped clean during the new WHS system install and when you add each drive back into the system, therefore you need to move the data to other PC's and then add back into the WHS server system. I did this one drive at a time.. (More specific instructions are found on this forumwith a simple search http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f) Thanks to Olaf's instructions above and his previous detailed directions to others on how to perform a new install and save your data!
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:39 PM
  • Hi all

Foaf's instructions may not have helped Star', but saved me a lot of grief (and left me feeling a bit silly). 

Foaf: thank you so much for you elegant (and strangely obvious) solution.  I had the same issue as star' and was pulling my hair out trying all sorts of elaborate solutions (checking and re-checking port forwarding, changing DNS servers and other silliness). 

It never occurred to me that WHS was offline as far as the internet was concerned, I just assumed.  The really obvious sign that WHS was offline was the repeated failure of remote access. 

So, feeling a bit dim I changed from a fixed IP to an automatically assigned one, and my problem is now resolved. 

Idea for Microsoft: perhaps a little dialogue box that lets the administrator know when WHS has lost internet access? Just a thought. 

Star' I hope you get things back to normal as soon as possible. 

David

Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:10 AM
  • (I would post my little idea on the suggestions page, but someone has locked it - I only assume this lockdown is due to people demanding features only found in Windows server 2008, which costs a bit more than WHS)
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:23 AM
  • Product suggestsions should be submitted on Connect .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:44 AM