none
Erased HD after install and Shadowcopy RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently downgraded my OS for my server from 2007 to 2003 Home Server. I disconnected my HDDs from the PC during install. After install I connected the drives and they worked for a bit. Then went offline and then came backup as blank. I did not select to format the drives yet it happened. I did see that there was some shadowcopies of the drive but I do not know if they have the data or not. Really havent used shadowcopy and had this issue happen.

HELP!!!
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:47 PM

All replies

• I have recently downgraded my OS for my server from 2007 to 2003 Home Server. I disconnected my HDDs from the PC during install. After install I connected the drives and they worked for a bit. Then went offline and then came backup as blank. I did not select to format the drives yet it happened. I did see that there was some shadowcopies of the drive but I do not know if they have the data or not. Really havent used shadowcopy and had this issue happen.

HELP!!!

If the data is absolutely vital, you should shut down your server, remove your drive(s), and use some sort of data recovery (either DIY or a professional service).  (Shadow Copies are not reliable on WHS and considering the drives apparently disappeared, I wouldn't attempt anything other than data recovery.)
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:09 AM
  • Is there any reason that would happen?
    Friday, August 28, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Is there any reason that would happen?

Is there any reason your drives would have disappeared?  Not that is part of the OS.  But in terms of hardware, sure.  Bad/inadequate power supply, bad data/power cables, failing hard drives, excessive heat, etc.  The list goes on and on...
    Friday, August 28, 2009 1:55 AM
  • The only reasons within Windows Home Server to format the drives would be that either the installation was not completed yet (and adding the additional drives to the storage pool is one of the later steps) or that you added the disks to the storage pool manually.
    Do the disks in question appear on the Storage tab?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:01 AM