Migrate WHS data when changing machines RRS feed

• Question

• I did search the forums but came up empty searching "Migrate WHS data, change WHS machines", etc.
    I've been running WHS on an old PC for a few years now and love it.  You users/developers will appreciate it when I say how many hours it has saved me on reinstalling my laptops/tablets/pc's when a critical piece of hardware (HDD) fails...easy as cake.
    At any rate, I've taken advantage of some deals and am expecting a spankin' new HP475 or some machine to arrive in the next 2 weeks.  Curious if there is an app or instructions on how to port over the data from WHS(old) to WHS(new) while losing no data.
    Know I'm not the first with this issue so thanks in advance for pointing me to the instruction set!
    Warren

Warren Briggs, DVM www.ocvh.com Minimally Invasive Surgery for Pets
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:43 AM

All replies

• I did search the forums but came up empty searching "Migrate WHS data, change WHS machines", etc.
    I've been running WHS on an old PC for a few years now and love it.  You users/developers will appreciate it when I say how many hours it has saved me on reinstalling my laptops/tablets/pc's when a critical piece of hardware (HDD) fails...easy as cake.
    At any rate, I've taken advantage of some deals and am expecting a spankin' new HP475 or some machine to arrive in the next 2 weeks.  Curious if there is an app or instructions on how to port over the data from WHS(old) to WHS(new) while losing no data.
    Know I'm not the first with this issue so thanks in advance for pointing me to the instruction set!
    Warren

Warren Briggs, DVM www.ocvh.com Minimally Invasive Surgery for Pets
    I don't know of any add-in that has that functionality.  The best method would be to backup the data on the old server to an external drive, then restore that data to the new server.  The other supported option would be to just copy and paste through the network.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:46 AM
  • If you really want to keep your backups there is an Add-In called WHS BDBB that will allow you to copy your backups to another destination, such as an external drive.

As Kariya21 says the best method for your data is to use the backup feature built into Windows Home Server.
    --
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:12 AM