How to reinstall a Vista upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Vista Ultimate, which I upgraded to from XP Pro. It was successfully activated many months ago. Today my PC won't boot to Windows. Windows repair says the Boot Configuration is corrupt. I am trying to reinstall Vista Ultimate, but when I enter my key I get the message that I must start the upgrade from within Vista, but I can't get into Vista. Is there a better way to repair the corrupt boot configuration? If not, how do I reinstall Vista from an upgrade disk? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 9:09 PM

Answers

• Set your computer to boot from DVD (using the Boot setting in the BIOS),
    insert the disc and restart. Vista will prompt you for language and keyboard
    layout options, then ask if you want to reinstall Vista or repair your installation.
    You want Repair.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 9:23 PM

All replies

layout options, then ask if you want to reinstall Vista or repair your installation.
    You want Repair.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 9:23 PM
    You want Repair .

I have the same problem w/ Vista Home Premium.  I can't install as my Vista is an "Upgrade" copy.  However, if I choose to repair, it hangs at "Attempting repairs" and will not continue.  I have waited over an hour for the PC to progress in some way or another and it just stays at that point.  Aside from going out to purchase a new copy of Vista to replace my "Upgrade" copy, what options do I have?
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Hi peter9629 and barinax,

No offence intended to Carey (he's really smart about that kind of stuff) but this forum really isn't intended to provide install assistance. You may want to try the "Install, Upgrade, and Activate" forum over at the Vista Answers area http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista/.  There are a number of Vista Support Engineers that frequently answer questions there. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:56 PM