Can I add exisitng media filled drives from another PC to WHS?? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to move my media filled hard disks from my main pc to my server.. can I simply connect the disks up, and as long as I dont add them to the pool, all data will remain intact...??

I dont need to duplicate or have backups of this, I just want to connect them up to the server...
    DrSoton
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:43 PM

Answers

• Thanks.. that makes sense.. may take a while to copy everything over, but it seems the more sensible approach, especially for sharing and access...

Thanks
    DrSoton
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Friday, January 9, 2009 8:43 AM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:43 AM

All replies

• Not sure what you are looking to accomplish, but I just plugged in a drive that has existing data on it.  In the windows home server console storage page, the drive is shown as a non-storage drive.

Connecting to the server via remote desktop I can see the drive as an available letter and can access the files on it. 

Regards,

Tom
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:18 PM
  • The problem with drives not added to the storage pool is, that you cannot share folders using the Windows Home Server console.
    While it is still possible to use the Windows File Sharing mechanics, it is unsupported, makes things like Access control more complicated and cannot spread the available storage for this share to all free data storage capacity of the WHS.
    So the best way usually would be, to attach the disk, use Explorer in Remote Desktop to copy the files from the disk to a WHS shared folder via the shortcut Shared folders on server and integrate the disk to the storage pool later (or use it as backup drive, if you have still plenty of free space).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:46 PM
  • Thanks.. that makes sense.. may take a while to copy everything over, but it seems the more sensible approach, especially for sharing and access...

Thanks
    DrSoton
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Friday, January 9, 2009 8:43 AM
    Friday, January 9, 2009 8:43 AM
  • I have a question that's related to this one.  I plan to add two drives to my new retail WHS that previously existed in my beta installation of WHS from some time back.  I've backed up the data, so erasing the discs is not problem.  However, my question is whether the drive wizard will/can delete the 10gb system partition created on one of them by the other WHS system.  Can I manage/delete partitions using WHS, either through the wizard or via the admin console's disc management system?  Thanks.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Some users have had problems when they connect an old WHS system disk to their server. I think this has been corrected, but I would still recommend removing the partitions on that disk using another computer, before attempting to add it to your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 9, 2009 5:15 PM