Bad addin is causing WHS to continuly reboot! RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP MediaSmart Server running WHS and loaded about 19 addins yesterday, after powering down the server and restarting the server attempts to start, lights up all my 4 hard drives and then just drops and starts the reboot process all over again, it keeps doing this time after time.

I had this issue once before and thought it was a bad drive, but is wasn't, I have removed my drives placed then in a hard drive enclosure and tested them on my pc and found no errors, so it must be a bad add-in that is somehow causing the reboot.

I really don't want to reinstall WHS again, it is a big pain, I am looking for suggestions on how to correct without a restore.  Can addins be removed someother way?  If I can have the system drive connected to my XP system via the hard drive enclosure, can I delete the issue that is causing the problem.  I am not sure what addin is causing this issue.

I didn't have addins running except for McAfee and PV connect before, and removed McAfee because it is a PIG and even with upgrading my memory to 2GB, it still causes the connector software to not paint the console screen, as soon as I unstalled it, my console screen paints fine everytime, but that's a different issue.

Anyone has this issue and can assist?

Brent 
    Friday, November 14, 2008 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Brent,
    while you could try to remove the Add-Ins by attaching the disk to another system and deleting the files in Program Files\Windows Home Server and subfolders belonging to these Add-Ins + loading the Software key from \Windows\system32\config into the registry editor and remove values and keys pointing to these Add-Ins from SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server, this may not bring the results you need. 
    In the loaded registry hive (if you load SYSTEM instead of Software from the config folder on the HP OS disk into the registry editor) you may also try to swap the names of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003 to get the "Last known good configuration" loaded.

Unfortunately you cannot be sure, which of the add-ins did put stuff to other places than they should (especially since you put an entire bunch of them at once to the system) or if any other component is causing the crash and you would beat a dead horse.

You also could load the event logs (files with extension .evt from the mentioned folder into the event viewer on your PC, but not on
    Vista, since it does not read the log files too good), maybe they give you a hint what has caused the crash.

Between - its all unsupported and you can break a lot even on your running client system, if you do things wrong in the registry ...

Especially with the problems to narrow down boot problems on headless devices a Server reinstall usually is much more painless, even if it takes it time.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 14, 2008 2:07 PM
  • Rather than saying "a bad add-in", I would say that it's probably an unanticipated interaction between two or more of the plethora of add-ins you installed all at once that's causing your problem. 

While you can try what Olaf has suggested, it may not correct the issue. Some of the add-ins available install additional components outside of the Console add-in itself, and it may be that you have a problem with one or more of these. In addition, Olaf's suggestion is an unsupported way to work with your server, particularly editing the registry on the server to remove the keys your add-ins use.

It is very probable that the fastest way for you to get your server working again will be to do what you've said you'd rather not, which is a server recovery. If you go that route, please be cautious when installing add-ins. There are a couple of relly usefule ones out there, but you should carefully evaluate each one and determine if it really delivers functionality that you need, rather than a feature that sounds neat.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 14, 2008 4:15 PM