Trigger a workflow to send email when a case is assigned to Queues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I can't seem to find a way of sending an email (via a workflow) when a case is assigned to queues

Is this possible?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:51 PM

Answers

• I think I'm going to create an ondemand workflow which will re-assign the case and email the team alerting them - I'm lucky as the case can only go to one queue. But this would be an issue with multiple queues
    • Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:28 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Set the workflow to trigger when a Case record is assigned.  Add a check condition to check the Case Owner.  If the Case Owner is the queue, then add a Send E-mail step.  If not, stop the workflow as canceled.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

• Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MSCRM MAN Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:21 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:17 PM
  • I thought that. But the drop down (Look for) will not allow me to select Que only users
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:22 PM
  • I have a work flow that assigns our cases based on Subject.  Thus when a case is opened and has a Subject of "Billing" it then fires the case to be assigned to the "Billing" queue.  I have a separate work flow that then sends an email with the appropriate information to a Queue's email address.  In Exchange I have the queue's email address as a distro list to the specific users I want to receive that email.  I am probably going around this the wrong way but it definitely works for our needs.  Let me know if you would like more specifics on our setup.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Without writing a plugin or custom workflow activity this won´t work cause the assign to queue is actually a route to queue therefore the owner won´t change if you route this case to a queue

Gruß Carsten Groth http://carstengroth.spaces.live.com
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:00 PM
  • let me run a quick test.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Hi Thanks for the comments - Carsten :that was my understanding as well - after the record has been assigned the record owner still remians as the user and NOT the queue. Donna I appriciate you testing this - please let me (us) know your results.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I think I'm going to create an ondemand workflow which will re-assign the case and email the team alerting them - I'm lucky as the case can only go to one queue. But this would be an issue with multiple queues
    • Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:28 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:13 PM
  • So let's try this,

Add a custom field to store the owner value.  In your workflow, when a case is reassigned, first update the field with the owner value, then you can use that field to check for the support queue.  If the support queue value is present, send the e-mail.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:14 PM
  • I'm assuming that you are not just routing the Case to the queue but actually changing the owner to the queue.  Is that a correct assumption.  if so, then I think my suggestion will work.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Hi Donna,

I'm just routing the Case onto the que! The ondemand workflow works well and does what I want.

Thanks to all for their input abd thanks Donna for your time in the test(s).

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:27 PM
  • You're welcome, I'm glad you have a solution.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:46 PM
  • One way we got around this for another client was to add a new attribute 'In Queue' to the Case entity and have it populated via a plugin. This offered a whole range of benefits and I think could also be used to trigger the workflow you need.

Leon Tribe

Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog http://leontribe.blogspot.com/ or hear me tweet @leontribe
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Monday, April 19, 2010 4:17 AM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 4:17 AM
  • I have the same issue. How do you set up an email address for a queue without incurring an additional license fee?

Apologies in advance if I'm missing the blindingly obvious. I'm fairly new to the CRM.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:56 PM