What has changed in version 2.0 ? RRS feed

• Question

• Appart from the home networking feature (nobody was asking for), nothing else has really changed.

It is still impossible to backup to a second/third hard disk.

- that was one of the most wanted features (it looks like MS is indeed ignoring completely our supplications).

It is still imppossible to customize the tuneup

- NO possibility to skip one or more of the items (MS proves once more that she couldn't care less about our requests).

Not adding what people were so desperately asking for, but on the contrary adding features that were not asked for = provocation

Maybe version 5 will be any better ? 

Thursday, July 12, 2007 3:46 PM

Answers

• Somewhere in the forum I presented my opinion yesterday on why we may not be seeing features we've seen discussed at length in the forums implement yet. It is likely that the feature list for 2.0 was nailed down shortly after the release of 1.0.

The items you've listed are big requests, but they may require significant coding to accomplish or they are considered outside of the scope of the design of OneCare despite our requests.

As for the networking changes, I think that they are indeed useful features that help people with securing their networks. I'm not sure what I think about the shared printer item yet. Circles is a useful feature to manage the PCs on your subscription, which many people have indeed been asking for, too.

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 4:44 PM

All replies

• Somewhere in the forum I presented my opinion yesterday on why we may not be seeing features we've seen discussed at length in the forums implement yet. It is likely that the feature list for 2.0 was nailed down shortly after the release of 1.0.

The items you've listed are big requests, but they may require significant coding to accomplish or they are considered outside of the scope of the design of OneCare despite our requests.

As for the networking changes, I think that they are indeed useful features that help people with securing their networks. I'm not sure what I think about the shared printer item yet. Circles is a useful feature to manage the PCs on your subscription, which many people have indeed been asking for, too.

-steve

Friday, July 13, 2007 4:44 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

I am flabbergasted about the the way you're always defending MS in spite of their shortcomings.

When I read the requests on the forum in the past couple of months it became clear to me that OneCare was made for dumb users who did not know anything about the computer they were working (playing) with :

Therefore (only 1 example) : - No backup to second hard disk because these stupid user might not be aware of the dangers that come with it in case the whole computer burns down for some unpredictable reason.

And now suddenly MS thinks that all these stupid, dumb users have networks at home - hence a network feature but still without the possibility to backup to a second or third hard disk.

C'mon Stephen, I know that you like MS ( I used to be a fervent MS lover as well) but this goes way too far.

It is clear that the gents at MS couldn't care less about what we are writing in this forum.

It is clear that not even you got a clue about what version 2.0 was going to bring us - you are discovering it together with us.

So stop defending the developpers or whomever - they do not care about us - they are just doing their thing behind their computers.

And that is what what i am doing too - without OneCare .....

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:15 PM
  • It is absolutely amazing to look through the messages here and draw some conclusions easily - that WLOC 1.0 had problems, 1.5 had problems, countless messages were left about what users want, and the only thing to read here is mostly Steven Boots doing volunteer rationalizations for this particular MS product.

There was once a time where Microsoft listened to its customers (you could even send them messages, and sometimes talk to them).  Now the palace is walled off with an elaborate phone system, "support by email" and other methods that - to me anyway, a longtime fan of Microsoft products, indicate that the current management regime could give a rat's *ss about those who buy their products.

The excuse that WLOC is here for stupid users.  I guess some of us ARE, for using WLOC.  I'll be looking for a replacement.   I could NOT believe that 2.0 didn't do anything that has been asked for over and over (e.g., we WILL use the phishing filter, per Microsoft, that is the ONLY way).  Worst of all, my machine NEVER completes defrag and what 2.0 added to the error log was not confidence building.

Message after message here features a user complaining and Mr. Boots giving non-answers, and this one took the cake.  Some future release might include something customers want?  How nice.  Meanwhile, this forum, to me, serves only as a buffer between customer and Microsoft, mostly the product of non-answers by Steven Boots.  Pick any thread and follow it.

The great improvement over XP, Vista (not) is supposed to use some great new continuous defragmentation scheme.  So I guess it does.  Every single time my tune-up runs my C drive is never, ever finished.  Much discussed, nothing accomplished.  The virus scan takes 18-24 hours.  WLOC is a good idea but seems as though it was created in a vacuum of MS programmers who are so secure in their superior product that they don't have to (and don't) incorporate suggestions for improvement.  So, Mr. Boots, what is the best means of making suggestions known without MS MVP volunteers?  Nice to volunteer - but for the cause of the rather well-to-do Microsoft?

Saturday, July 21, 2007 5:00 AM
  • File a bug on Connect for OneCare v2 if you think that discussions here in the forum are not listened to by Microsoft.

http://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

If you have looked through the messages, you will know I am not a Microsoft apologist or defender. I agree that OneCare is not perfect and it bothers me that some features that were requested often have not made it into the product yet. I am willing to bet that OneCare will continue to evolve and that feedback from the customers will continue to play a major part in decision making.

-steve

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:41 AM
  • I would echo the comments and frustration about Microsoft catering only to non-technical people. Let me say first that OneCare Circles are very cool. I used it to monitor alerts from my wife's computer and backup all three PCs to a central location. However I am annoyed that I cannot pick and choose specific folders to backup. Just $49.95 for three PCs per year? Good deal. Ability to download and install from anywhere? Very cool. But a proprietary backup file and folder structure that is locked down? Uncool. OneCare looks promising. I like how easy it is to use. But with few features for the advanced user crowd I have chosen to move on to greener pastures. I cancelled my subscription last month.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:00 PM