Why can't I back up? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have two computers and for several months one will not back up, even after doing so foe about 3 months.!!!! It's ok, I'll not use this srvice again. However, another computer on the same account was able to back up for over 3 months, but now can't! I'll definitely not use this service again. Thanks for 1/3 of nothing! This sucks!
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:35 AM

Answers

• Nice posts. I'm sorry you encountered a problem with backup, but you're not really giving us any information to help you out. Do you encounter an error? Did anything change with backup - a different external drive, for example? Are you using Centralized backup? What kind of external drive(s) are you using - USB, Firewire, eSATA?

How long ago did backup stop working?

Have you tried resetting your backup plan and deleting the old backups?

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

How to delete backups - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

Have you contacted support?

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:06 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I always used external backup devices! Worked real well for 3 months......pssst,.....then freakn nothing!!!!!! Bite me!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:41 AM
  • Nice posts. I'm sorry you encountered a problem with backup, but you're not really giving us any information to help you out. Do you encounter an error? Did anything change with backup - a different external drive, for example? Are you using Centralized backup? What kind of external drive(s) are you using - USB, Firewire, eSATA?

How long ago did backup stop working?

Have you tried resetting your backup plan and deleting the old backups?

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

How to delete backups - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

Have you contacted support?

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:06 PM
  • Mr. Boots sums up the feelings of many. In my case, I am confused why there is no "Backup Now" manual option that is easy and intuitive. I don't need Microsoft to babysit my backup schedule. I want this OneCare service to provide a logical and needed option: Manual Updates. Hopefully this is a case where I have overlooked some easy solution. But I have scoured several backup windows and have found nothing. In my case, I'll spare you the emotive utterances, but I expect an answer sent to my email address with a solution. Thank you for your time.

Tony Damico

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Solution to what, Tony? If you accept the defaults and walk through the backup wizard it should be fairly simple, though it can run into problems for the backup destination, depending on where you want to backup to.

-steve

Monday, April 14, 2008 6:23 AM
  • When I get to the second part of your instructions when I click on the change location and select my J drive it tells me it doesn't recognize "that network".

It won't let me put in the J drive.

I unplugged and plugged it back in and it gives me the same message.

I manually backed up yesterday outside of Live OneCare and it was not problematic in any way.

how do I make this seamless program actually seamless before I commit to buying it?

Saturday, April 19, 2008 4:17 PM
  • What is your J: drive? Is it "in use" by another program, perhaps the alternate backup program you used? Can you read and write to that location from Windows Explorer?

-steve

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:48 PM