none
"Unknown error" when cookie expires while trying to post RRS feed

• Question

• This is an old bugaboo from the V2.4 platform.  One improvement is that you don't lose your post.  There is however no hint whatsoever what the problem may be.  Users will madly click the Submit button and have no idea what is going on from the non-descriptive "There was an error processing the request" message.

One workaround I found was to open a forum page in another tab, login again after which the Submit button will work.  That is however not an obvious course of action.

I doubt y'all have a say over this but 24 hours for the cookie expiration time was a very poor choice.  People tend to visit forums at a regular time of the day.  Say when coming home from work or their lunch break.  That gives them 50-50 odds that the Unknown Error virus strikes just as they are ready to make their first post.  Using 23 hours would greatly reduce the frequency of this trap.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:17 PM

Answers

• I'll address one portion of this. We agree that we need to give better error messages. I've had a bug on my plate to do so, but other things keep being a higher priority.

In fact, the was we implemented error handling, we intended to give better messages, and were on our development boxes. Unfotunately, we found that when we went to production (and its tighter security) a more generic message was being passed back to the interface.

I also hit the auto-logout time quite often since I normally leave a browser open with these bug forums and an "unread" filter. I don't remember discussions on the expiry time, but I'll look into it.

Matt
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:06 PM