Remote Access worked at one time but no longer does RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the background:

Using a Linksys WRT54G router (v4) with up-to-date Linksys firmware. On Windows Home Server Console >Settings >Remote Access tab, the Router status check fails on "verify UPnP", "web site connections", and "remote access connections" steps. Documentation says the WRT54G is UPnP compataible, so I loaded Tomato firmware on the router and retried. Now the Router status check passes the UPnP step and fails on the last two (web site connections and remote access connections). UPnP appears to have worked since I can see the proper port forwarding for 80, 443, and 3125. And ports 80 and 443 are open according to a tool from GRC.com.

Funny thing is: Remote Access has worked before, but intermittently. I suspected that was because the WHS IP address was dynamic DHCP (my bad), so it could change and botch up the port forwarding. So I went to static DHCP (thanks to Tomato firmware) to nail down the IP address of my WHS server.

Any help from this fine community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Friday, January 9, 2009 9:37 PM

Answers

• Thanks Olaf. I will test from an external PC, and try to re-register the domain. I appreciate all your help--excellent! Cheers...   Jeff
    • Marked as answer by AJMcS Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:38 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:38 PM

All replies

• It's not port 3125. but 4125.
    Did you already try to disable and enable websites on your WHS?
    Can you access your remote access website locally via http://server (replace server with the name you gave to your WHS)?
    If you login to your server, open a command prompt and type
    ipconfig /all
    what is the output?
    Can you ping the configured domain at homeserver.com?
    If yes, is the result identical to the external address of your router?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 9, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Olaf, thanks for the reply. Pls see responses below in blue.

----------------
    It's not port 3125. but 4125.

Oops you are correct.

Did you already try to disable and enable websites on your WHS?

Thanks for the tip. Just tried it--same result.

Can you access your remote access website locally via http://server (replace server with the name you gave to your WHS)?

No "IE cannot display the webpage". Same for https:

If you login to your server, open a command prompt and type
    ipconfig /all
    what is the output?

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bluehome843
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : earthlink.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : earthlink.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8056 based Ether
    net Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-1B-46-A5-D2
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 09, 2009 2:57:53 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:57:53 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Can you ping the configured domain at homeserver.com?
    If yes, is the result identical to the external address of your router?

Yes, PINGed from the WHS box and another PC on my network. Both systems can ping the website and the IP address = external router address.
    This is good news I think(?)
    -------------------

Olaf, any suggestions at this point? Thanks... Jeff

Friday, January 9, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Well, since you changed the IP address, maybe the local clients are still caching some outdated information for name resolution.
    Can you get the website if you try http://192.168.1.101 ?

Besides DNS Suffix Search list and not configured NetBIOS over TCP/IP I see no issues with your configuration. If you would get the website accessed internally, there could still be an issue with the router, if your connection attempt is done from within the target network. Looping back an external address to the internal network is not always supported, so you would have to try external access (or have it somebody else trying).

That you can ping the proper remote address, seems to show, that the Live Domain Services registration works correctly.
    Olaf

Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Hi Olaf. Here's what I found:

----------------------
    Can you get the website if you try http://192.168.1.101 ?

No, getting a "Mismatched Certificate" error from IE.

----------------------
    Ouch, this does not sound good. What would be the best way to proceed for a non-professional PC hobbyist like myself? (I'm not a noob, but I'm no IT personal either).

Thank you very much, Olaf. Greetings from Ohio USA...   Jeff
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:43 AM
  • Hi Jeff.
    no panic, please.
    Indeed this "Mismatched certificate" is a good sign, since it shows IIS performing. The certificate is issued to a name, so addressing the IP address directly will cause a not unexpected certificate failure. On that screen click on Continue even if ... (not sure about the exact message). This should load your WHS Remote Access Screen.
    (If you wish to get the function of your homeserver.com domain checked from outside of your own network, you can drop me an email (address is in my profile) with the domain name. Nothing else is needed for checking, if the site loads.)
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:36 PM
  • Thank you, Olaf. I tried accessing my WHS site externally via my cell phone web browser. I was able to get to the site but the "invalid certificate" errors persisted. What do you think?

Related note: over the past few days the website's external IP address (WAN IP address of the router) has changed.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help, Olaf. Have a nice day...   Jeff
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Hi Jeff,
    I have no idea, how cell phone based browsers handle that site at all, so only access from a PC would count for me.
    A simple thing which you can try as well is to unconfigure your WHS domain and register it again with the same Live ID.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Thanks Olaf. I will test from an external PC, and try to re-register the domain. I appreciate all your help--excellent! Cheers...   Jeff
    • Marked as answer by AJMcS Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:38 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Olaf, just following up here. A friend tested external access to my WHS site and it worked. Thanks again for your help...   Jeff
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:56 AM