Dell Laptop - WGA Issues RRS feed

• Question

• After updating via windows update, I am now being asked to activate Windows (almost 18 months after receiving my laptop).  I have not re-installed since then and this is the copy of Windows that shipped with my laptop.

After reading the information on the website presented when clicking "Validation Failure Details" it tells me I must activate using a link in Accessories -> System Tools, however there is no "Activate Windows" option.  How do I activate or what must I do to get rid of this message?

Below is details from the WGA diagnostic tool.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GD6GR-K6DP3-4C8MT
    Windows Product Key Hash: s2kt66ZJWfV4nS1wFD5F9bxTSDw=
    Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: VJ9CY97
    ID: 255a80a2-2852-4a7c-8b33-0ef941e481ff
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    Cache refresh Interval: 929 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>255a80a2-2852-4a7c-8b33-0ef941e481ff</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4C8MT</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3703183937-1019013938-719634346</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Inspiron 8600                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A14</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050630000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>64D83C07018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>E. Australia Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone></MachineData></GenuineResults> 

Regards,

Jeremy

Sunday, July 2, 2006 4:41 AM

Answers

•  mrjezza wrote:

Hi Dan,

Just of interest, I have just noticed that the last set of digits of my product key pulled by the diagnostic program DOES NOT match the product key on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop.

I have run the activation program and now it tells me the original key is invalid so I entered the key from the sticker on the bottom of my laptop.  However, when I do it says "incorrect product key".  I have re-entered it several times but to no avail and I am unable to activate.

What do I do now?  I purchased my laptop direct from Dell brand new.

Regards,

Jeremy

Many times, OEM's use a specific "OEM SLP" key that is imaged multiple times, but you will have a specific COA to your machine. OEM SLP's do not require activation. You can do one of two things - telephone activate, or reinstall with your COA (to make your Product Key match) and reactivate that way.

I recommend telephone activating, as its very simple and takes approximately 3-4 minutes.

This KB article will give more information about activation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

Please try this and let us know if you are able to activate.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 9:25 PM

All replies

• Mrjezza,

This has helped some people to activate:

Start>Run, type oobe/msoobe /a and press OK to start the Activation Wizard.

Let us know if it works for you.

Sunday, July 2, 2006 1:00 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Just of interest, I have just noticed that the last set of digits of my product key pulled by the diagnostic program DOES NOT match the product key on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop.

I have run the activation program and now it tells me the original key is invalid so I entered the key from the sticker on the bottom of my laptop.  However, when I do it says "incorrect product key".  I have re-entered it several times but to no avail and I am unable to activate.

Regards,

Jeremy

Sunday, July 2, 2006 1:16 PM
  • Mrjezza,

On the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) on the bottom of the laptop, please tell us which edition of XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center.

Also tell us if "Dell" appears on the COA or not.

Sunday, July 2, 2006 1:22 PM
  • Label reads:

Windows(R) XP Home Edition
    DELL

This is on the top left side of the label and DELL is written in the same Dell font as on my laptop with the rotated E.

Jeremy

Monday, July 3, 2006 1:08 AM
  • Any ideas Dan/Phil?
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 2:30 AM
  • Mrjezza,

Based on the information you have provided, there is no question that your computer is properly licensed to run XP Home as provided by Dell.

You may be at the point where you need to contact MS tech support.  WGA issues have free email tech support at this link:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=9860

Personally I am reluctant to recommend the following procedure because it has the potential to screw up XP's activation system to the point where the computer will not allow logons.  Do not try it unless (1) your personal files are backed up and (2) you do not mind risking the possibility of having to do a clean installation of your Operating System if it goes wrong.

How to manually force activation:

1. Restart the computer into "Safe Mode" and log on.

2. Go to Start >Run and type: %systemroot%\system32  then press the Enter key.

3. Locate these two files: wpa.dbl and wpa.bak

4. Rename the wpa.dbl file to wpa.dbl.old and wpa.bak to wpa.bak.old

5. Restart the computer normally and log on as an administrative user.  You should be presented with the activation wizard.  Enter the PK from your COA.  If the PK is still rejected, select the options that will lead you to telephone activation.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 2:55 AM
  •  mrjezza wrote:

Hi Dan,

Regards,

Jeremy

Many times, OEM's use a specific "OEM SLP" key that is imaged multiple times, but you will have a specific COA to your machine. OEM SLP's do not require activation. You can do one of two things - telephone activate, or reinstall with your COA (to make your Product Key match) and reactivate that way.

I recommend telephone activating, as its very simple and takes approximately 3-4 minutes.

This KB article will give more information about activation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890

Please try this and let us know if you are able to activate.

Tuesday, July 4, 2006 9:25 PM