How to search for files?? RRS feed

• Question

• Where is the Search command in the WHS OS?  Normally (when you are logged into the OS console), you can open Explorer, right-mouse click on a folder and select Search to find a file.  However, I can't find a search function anywhere!  I've uninstalled the goofy Desktop Search.  How do you restore the traditional Server 2003/XP Search cmd?

Thanks,
    Justin
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 7:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Justin,
    using the WHS desktop for any task is not supported.
    You always should use the capabilities of the client to search the shared folders.
    Local instruments will easily get confused with the method Windows Home Server stores the files, since they cannot distinguish between tombstones and real files.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:17 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JustinRay Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by JustinRay Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:13 AM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Justin,
    using the WHS desktop for any task is not supported.
    You always should use the capabilities of the client to search the shared folders.
    Local instruments will easily get confused with the method Windows Home Server stores the files, since they cannot distinguish between tombstones and real files.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:17 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JustinRay Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by JustinRay Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:13 AM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Thanks for the info, Olaf.  Follow-up questions:
    What is a tombstone file?
    What if you need to search for files in the OS (which you will not doubt need to do at some point because of a problem)?  I'm having a problem already with the OS (had installed just a few days) and need to look for modified files in the OS.

Justin
    Monday, August 3, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Thanks for the info, Olaf.  Follow-up questions:
    What is a tombstone file?

A "tombstone" (actually it's called a reparse point) is a small pointer file that lets the OS know where the actual file is stored.  (Think of it like a shortcut.)

What if you need to search for files in the OS (which you will not doubt need to do at some point because of a problem)?

The supported method to deal with a problem with your OS is Server Reinstallation.

I'm having a problem already with the OS (had installed just a few days) and need to look for modified files in the OS.

Justin
    What kind of problems are you having?
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:01 AM
  • See post "very long console login time, hard drive thrashes" http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/14f5edc2-8f8b-40a2-9924-85a6c8c4b1a0

It's an ongoing mystery with no set predictability, as far as I can tell.

Justin
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 12:40 AM