CRM 2011 Customer Portal Accelerator and User Controls RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully deployed the CRM 2011 Customer Portal Accelerator in a VM following Shan's article to change the authentication provider to Active Directory as opposed to Windows Live ID.

The portal is working for me.

However, I have previously used the "Portal Integration Accelerator" for CRM 4.0, which came with pre-built ASP.Net user controls. These allowed you to use a GUI interface to expose additional attributes for an entity to the portal. It used an EntityEditor and EntityGrid control.

This worked well, so I can't understand why it wasn't used in the CRM 2011 Customer Portal Accelerator???

Unless I am missing something, if I now want to add an attribute to the "create case" page on the CRM 2011 Customer Portal, I have to manually add a control to the page and update the code behind page to save the control to CRM.

Any comments from the Customer Portal Accelerator experts out there would be appreciated. Thx.

Friday, May 6, 2011 1:47 PM

Answers

• The EntityEditor and EntityGrid control were archiac and not compliant with current ASP.NET development techniques.  A number of new controls that have that and much more functionality have been included in the SDK.  I recommend you start with this page - you will find a number of good topics documented:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg695790.aspx

Adxstudio's commercial version of the portal SDK includes an enhanced CrmEntityFormView control that uses CRM 2011 role-based forms to render a UI based on the CRM design of the form and will accomplish exactly what you want - to be able to add a field in a case in CRM and have it just show up on the portal with no coding changes.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Marked as answer by Neil Kersten Saturday, May 7, 2011 9:05 AM
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 4:24 AM

All replies

• The EntityEditor and EntityGrid control were archiac and not compliant with current ASP.NET development techniques.  A number of new controls that have that and much more functionality have been included in the SDK.  I recommend you start with this page - you will find a number of good topics documented:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg695790.aspx

Adxstudio's commercial version of the portal SDK includes an enhanced CrmEntityFormView control that uses CRM 2011 role-based forms to render a UI based on the CRM design of the form and will accomplish exactly what you want - to be able to add a field in a case in CRM and have it just show up on the portal with no coding changes.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Marked as answer by Neil Kersten Saturday, May 7, 2011 9:05 AM
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 4:24 AM
  • Thanks Shan. I will follow the article in the SDK.

Saturday, May 7, 2011 9:05 AM