Cannot backup Dell laptop with Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to backup my Dell laptop using Windows Home Server.  I am able to backup my Dell PC.

The failed backup suggests running a disk check which I have done numerous times

My laptop harddrive is 36% empty.

How can I find out more about why the backups are failiing

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 11:32 PM

All replies

• I am unable to backup my Dell laptop using Windows Home Server.  I am able to backup my Dell PC.

The failed backup suggests running a disk check which I have done numerous times

There are WHS logs on the client that may help.  They are located at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.

Having said that, do you have more than 1 client?  If so, do the other clients backup successfully?  Did you run chkdsk /r on the client in question?

Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:51 AM
  • Hi,
    which operating system does your laptop run?
    How did you run disk check - chkdsk /r from command prompt (if Vista or Windows 7, started as Administrator)?

If you run Windows 7, maybe excluding the small 100 MB volume from backup would help. This tends to have problems with creating a Shadow copy, if the free storage space on it is to small.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, August 5, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Wired of wireless?
    If wireless, be sure to do the first backup wired.

Btw, I had problems on a new installed WHS ; WHS didn't detect NIC driver, so I installed the from the Motherboard CD (2004).
    During backups the network stopped if a backup lasted long. Did an upgrade to the latest driver (uhh 2005..) and all problems are gone, even with BIG/LARGE (first client machine)backups.

"Rich Alldredge" wrote in message news:8d26ecb0-e978-4657-9c2a-5fff4dff4b8f@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I am unable to backup my Dell laptop using Windows Home Server. I am able to backup my Dell PC.

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 10:58 PM