Trouble connecting to server over the internet RRS feed

• Question

• Ok here is my situation. I know what the problem is I just don't know how to go about fixing it. I live in an apartment complex where they just buy a large internet pipe and share it with everyone. The problem is that this puts me behind a second router making it impossible for me to connect to my server over my web portal. Is there any way to get around this issue?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:54 PM

Answers

• Double NAT is no problem, works fine for me.

Simply forward the appropriate ports from the modem (main internet connection device) to your own routers external IP address (probably assigned by the modem should be visible somewhere in your router management software). then forward the appropriate ports to your server. If the modem or router also have active firewall make sure you allow appropriate ports.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this you may try and get some expert assistance, you could potentially mess-up internet connection for the whole appartment

In this situation it may be a good idea to use other then the default ports to avoid problems for other users. There's lots of howto's on the web, for example this one
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:12 PM
  • The problem is I don't have access to my apartments router. I might could get them to forward some ports for me, but I am not sure which ones I would need to have forwarded. Currently whenever I try to go to my server from inside the complex I get their portal page. If I try to connect from a computer outside it will not connect at all.
    The default ports are 80, 443, and 4125.  However, considering you are sharing one big pipe with other tenants in your complex, I would say it's very unlikely your landlords will do that for you (although it never hurts to ask  :)  ).
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    there is no way to reach your home server in such a configuration. Double NAT is not supported, and I assume this is the scenario you hit.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:48 PM

Simply forward the appropriate ports from the modem (main internet connection device) to your own routers external IP address (probably assigned by the modem should be visible somewhere in your router management software). then forward the appropriate ports to your server. If the modem or router also have active firewall make sure you allow appropriate ports.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this you may try and get some expert assistance, you could potentially mess-up internet connection for the whole appartment

In this situation it may be a good idea to use other then the default ports to avoid problems for other users. There's lots of howto's on the web, for example this one
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:12 PM

The problem is I don't have access to my apartments router. I might could get them to forward some ports for me, but I am not sure which ones I would need to have forwarded. Currently whenever I try to go to my server from inside the complex I get their portal page. If I try to connect from a computer outside it will not connect at all.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:31 PM
  • The problem is I don't have access to my apartments router. I might could get them to forward some ports for me, but I am not sure which ones I would need to have forwarded. Currently whenever I try to go to my server from inside the complex I get their portal page. If I try to connect from a computer outside it will not connect at all.
    The default ports are 80, 443, and 4125.  However, considering you are sharing one big pipe with other tenants in your complex, I would say it's very unlikely your landlords will do that for you (although it never hurts to ask  :)  ).
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:42 PM