No Local Network Connection in control panel RRS feed

• Question

•  

That isn't normal, is it?

In the Network Connections control panel, the only object is the Add New Connection wizard.  No LAN connection button at all.  I discovered this when trying to configure a static IP for my server, which is rather difficult without access to these settings.

The server is functioning normally and the LAN connection is completely operational, I just can't access the settings.  Weird, eh?  This is a fresh WHS install on an nforce 650i board.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:58 AM

Answers

• I finally found a solution to this issue here.  It seems there were invalid entries in the registry, installed by the nVidia network driver.  I deleted them, and now the control panel appears.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:17 AM

All replies

• Don, if you search here and in the Hardware forum, you'll find that others have had a variety of issues with nVidia chipset-based motherboards. Probably your best bet will be to pick up an inexpensive PCI (or PCI-e, if you've got a free x1 slot) based NIC with Server 2003 drivers available. Do a search in the hardware forums for cards people have had good luck with.
    Sunday, May 18, 2008 1:28 PM
  • So nobody else has experienced this?

Once again, the drivers installed fine, there aren't any question marks or exclamation points in the device manager.  The server connects fine, served by the DHCP server in my router.  But there's no Local Network Settings icon in my Network control panel -- just the Add New Connection Wizard.  So I can't set a static IP, I can't repair the connection or check its status.

Any tips regarding a resolution or workaround would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Check this Microsoft support article out. This was the number 1 result of a Google search for "missing network connection". Please search first, then post.

Note: if you mess up your server following the steps in this article, you will very possibly have to reinstall your server.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 9:53 PM
  • Wednesday, May 28, 2008 10:32 PM
  • I finally found a solution to this issue here.  It seems there were invalid entries in the registry, installed by the nVidia network driver.  I deleted them, and now the control panel appears.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:17 AM