Proxy for SyncServices over WCF Scenario RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am running a Sync-Application via WCF. It works fine with HTTP and HTTPS.
    Now I have a new customer which only allows HTTP via a HTTP-Proxy (Port 8080).

The customer installed my application, but is not able to Sync to the server (via Internet, not Intranet!).

Before I am going to visit the customer, I want to research about possible problems.
    The only difference I found it is, that the customers uses this Proxy.

Does anybody of you have an idea if and why a proxy could be a problem for the sync-services scenario?

Regards,

Martin
    • Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 2:27 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:18 AM

Answers

• Hello -

In general, Sync Service or Sync Framework does not do any specific thing to HTTP-PROXY.  If it works for HTTP or HTTPS, it should also works for HTTP-PROXY.

One suggestion - please try to connect to the WCF service through Http-Proxy protocol using an IE browser and see what error message it comes out.  Try to fix issue from that route.

Thanks.
    Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by L Zhou [MSFT]Editor Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by macap Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:56 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• It is nothing about Sync Services. You need to configure the System.Net, ex.

<configuration>

<

system.net>

<

defaultProxy

useDefaultCredentials="true" >

</

defaultProxy>

</

system.net>

Please see following post for more details:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/wcf/thread/5f8d2c3a-164f-411a-b387-91f0be51f190
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:51 PM
  • Hi Bob,

thank you very much. It´s a good way to start, although it does not help 100%,
    because I am using the Compact Framework which does not have App.Config files and deals a bit different with the System.Net.

If I find a solution for CF, I will post it here.
    If anybody knows an answer... feel free to help ;-)

Regards,

Martin
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Hello -

In general, Sync Service or Sync Framework does not do any specific thing to HTTP-PROXY.  If it works for HTTP or HTTPS, it should also works for HTTP-PROXY.

One suggestion - please try to connect to the WCF service through Http-Proxy protocol using an IE browser and see what error message it comes out.  Try to fix issue from that route.

Thanks.
    Leo Zhou ------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by L Zhou [MSFT]Editor Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by macap Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:56 PM
    Answerer
  • In general, Sync Service or Sync Framework does not do any specific thing to HTTP-PROXY.  If it works for HTTP or HTTPS, it should also works for HTTP-PROXY.

Yes you are right! I just tried it with a Proxy (TCPCatcher) and a connection via Bluetooth/ActiveSync to the Mobile device.
    The Sync-Process works fine when I add TCPCatcher as proxy to the mobile device.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Martin,
    Without app.config, you can set the properties of your bindings in your code. ex.

BasicHttpBinding syncBasicHttpBinding = new BasicHttpBinding();
    syncBasicHttpBinding.UseDefaultWebProxy = true;
    syncBasicHttpBinding.BypassProxyOnLocal = true;

syncEndpointAddress = new EndpointAddress("http://syncserver/SyncService.svc");
    SyncServiceClient client = new SyncServiceClient(syncBasicHttpBinding, syncEndpointAddress);

WSHttpBinding has same properties. Basically, it is about configure proxy for WCF.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:17 PM
  • Hi Bob,

is your code snippet from CTP 2?

I do not have e.g. a class "SyncServiceClient" in the MS SyncFramework API.

Regrds,

Martin
    Friday, July 24, 2009 7:49 AM
  • SyncServiceClient is a proxy class generated from the WCF service for synchronisation. It can be any other name.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 12:35 PM