Another Remote Access problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there folks,

I have a few questions.

1) Can I remotely access my WHS from one of my clients on my network? As in log on to the remote access web pag from the computer that sits right next to my server with a browser? I think that's the right terminology.

2) What password does it want? My Hotmail one or another ?

I manually configured my WRT150N Linksys so port 80, 443, and 4125 are open and and forwarded. I check them with one of the web pages you all suggested. It says 80 and 443 are open but it doesn't seem to check as high as 4125. According to the console/settings all is good to go. I hope it's something stupid like the password. Help appreciated.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:36 AM

Answers

• Thank you kariya21. Yes I just wanted to check and see if the remote access was working. And it was my user password. I was confused although it didn't seem to be clear on that matter. Another problem solved.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 4:14 AM

All replies

•  Dalhan wrote:
    Hi there folks,

I have a few questions.

1) Can I remotely access my WHS from one of my clients on my network? As in log on to the remote access web pag from the computer that sits right next to my server with a browser? I think that's the right terminology.

Yes.  You can go to http://[servername].  However, there is no real benefit to accessing your server that way.  When you're inside your LAN, just use the network shares.  And if you're doing it to test your Remote Access web page, you really should test it from outside your LAN.

Dalhan wrote:
    2) What password does it want? My Hotmail one or another ?

If you mean the password on the Remote Access web page, that depends on which password you're talking about.  When you first get to the website, you need to logon to the server with a user that has Remote Access ability granted to them.  You use the user name and password for that user to access the website.  If you mean the server password once you are logged in to the website, you use the server password for that.

Dalhan wrote:
    I manually configured my WRT150N Linksys so port 80, 443, and 4125 are open and and forwarded. I check them with one of the web pages you all suggested. It says 80 and 443 are open but it doesn't seem to check as high as 4125. According to the console/settings all is good to go. I hope it's something stupid like the password. Help appreciated.

You could also call one of your buddies and have them try to access your web site.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:56 AM
  • Thank you kariya21. Yes I just wanted to check and see if the remote access was working. And it was my user password. I was confused although it didn't seem to be clear on that matter. Another problem solved.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 4:14 AM
  • Dalhan;

I never had much luck trying to contact my server using the http://(servername), not sure it wasn't my fault and it only seemed to word from inside my intranet, not the internet.  I always used either RDP to get to the server desktop or double click the WHW icon on the tool bar to get into the WHS console.

Suggest you invest a few bucks in "Microsoft Windows Home Server Unleasehed" - you can find in on Amazon - and read through that on setting all this stuff up, much more detailed that anything that came with the copy of WHS I purchased.  It will take you though a setup process to access your server from https://(servername).homeserver.com - Microsoft provides the host name, and then it will help you modify the logon script to bring you to the WHS desktop rather than just the console.  With that done you can now manage all the applications on your server rather than just those you can reach from the console - I'm working with mine from Sarajevo, BiH at the moment.  Worth the investment....

LJ

Sunday, July 27, 2008 4:55 AM