Multiple owners for single record RRS feed

• Question

• Can you have multiple owners for a single record (i.e. leads)?
    I know that you can share and have the same privileges, but the owner will always display the single person who owns the record.
    For reporting purposes and for any other querying purposes, this wouldn't be beneficial for other users who share but not own the record.
    Any workarounds if you cannot have multiple owners?

Thanks in advance!
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:36 PM

Answers

• One possible solution is to add additional Relationships to the User entity with names that match the type of relationship the user has to the record.  This will allow you to place lookup fields on the record to identify the users in a similar manner to the Owning User and the fields will be available for reporting.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by SPCRMCnst Friday, May 8, 2009 9:07 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Hi Jacob,

We recently worked on a similar request. We created a many to many relationship between users and 'leads' such that existing users could be added as additional 'owners'. We developed some callouts which subsequently would traverse all additional owners and notify these when new appointsments were created against the lead or the lead was updated.

HiH,
    Karlo
    Karlo Swart - http://www.ver206.com
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:25 PM

All replies

• One possible solution is to add additional Relationships to the User entity with names that match the type of relationship the user has to the record.  This will allow you to place lookup fields on the record to identify the users in a similar manner to the Owning User and the fields will be available for reporting.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Hi Jacob,

We recently worked on a similar request. We created a many to many relationship between users and 'leads' such that existing users could be added as additional 'owners'. We developed some callouts which subsequently would traverse all additional owners and notify these when new appointsments were created against the lead or the lead was updated.

HiH,
    Karlo
    Karlo Swart - http://www.ver206.com
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Donna,

Thanks for your advice.
    For example, i have a lead named ABC, and i want two owners for ABC.
    For permission wise, instead of creating two owners, i put these two users in a team, and share with the team, in case additional member joins this team.
    But when you have a large number of records, what's the best way to achieve this?
    Friday, May 8, 2009 9:11 PM
  • Thanks for your advice, Karlo.
    Could you elaborate on how you manipulated this many to many relationship between users and leads?
    I'm trying to teach myself more on the relationships, but i guess many to many i need more practice on.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 9:12 PM